Address book on one hard drive, Messages on another

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ILoveStMartin

Address book on one hard drive, Messages on another

Post by ILoveStMartin »

History: My desktop computer went down in Dec 2016 but my c drive with all the Mozilla Thunderbird files was intact. For about 2 months I used my laptop for Thunderbird email.
Current status: Now have new desktop with Thunderbird installed. Weird, but, a few emails received prior to my computer going down in Dec are showing up on it - but the address book is empty. Have the old C drive (with Thunderbird on it) in my new computer (as G Drive) and I have located abook.mab, etc. on it.
Wants:
1.Would like to move the address book from old C (G) drive to Thunderbird on new computer.
2. If possible - to get all emails from both the old C drive and the laptop added to the new Thunderbird on current C drive without losing the emails currently saved on it.
Note - I tried to run Thunderbird from the old hard drive (now G) to export the address book, but it just brought up the current (new) Thunderbird and it's folders, files and address book. Was also wanting to see if the old files now on current Thunderbird were on it and if they were was going to delete the current Thunderbird.
DanRaisch

Re: Address book on one hard drive, Messages on another

Post by DanRaisch »

1. You can copy the ,mab files from the old profile to the new, replacing the newer ones.
2. How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.