MozillaZine

Is it possible to change toolbar text colour?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Rogueblue

Post Posted March 13th, 2017, 8:06 am

Hi

Is it possible to change toolbar text colour?
When changing Personas the text remains a light blue, which is often hard to read.

TIA
ROb

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 14th, 2017, 6:16 am

I'd assume you could do that using CSS snippets in the optional userChrome.css file in the chrome directory in the profile. The first problem is figuring out the appropriate window name. If you can't find that by searching this forum you'd have figure it out using the DOM Inspector add-on

I frequently use a "green marble" persona which has easy to read black text in the toolbar. There are so many persona why not try a slightly different one instead of trying to override the text color?

Rogueblue

Post Posted March 14th, 2017, 6:19 am

Phew was hoping there was a add-on ... CSS not my thing, wouldn't know how.
But thanks you.

Rogueblue

Post Posted March 14th, 2017, 6:22 am

Ps ... is there away to change customize the icons? Sure it was possible in the past ....

TIA

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 14th, 2017, 7:02 am

You could use a "complete" theme. They can customize icons. See https://addons.mozilla.org/nn-no/thunde ... te-themes/

RosieRose

Post Posted March 27th, 2017, 1:05 am

tanstaafl wrote:I'd assume you could do that using CSS snippets in the optional userChrome.css file in the chrome directory in the profile. The first problem is figuring out the appropriate window name. If you can't find that by searching this forum you'd have figure it out using the DOM Inspector add-on

I frequently use a "green marble" persona which has easy to read black text in the toolbar. There are so many persona why not try a slightly different one instead of trying to override the text color?

Please forgive my ignorance, but I didn't understand one thing you said above. No offense intended, here, I'm just not a geekhead. I don't know what "CSS snippets are in the optional userChrome.css file" are, and it really doesn't matter as I don't use Chrome.

I don't know what using a "green marble" persona is which would have black text in the toolbar instead of that horrid light blue coloring which is really difficult for me to read.

So, back to the original question, is there any way most of us older folx who don't know anything about computers and IT can change that light blue color in the task bar to something else?

LIMPET235

Post Posted March 27th, 2017, 1:31 am

Hi RosieRose,
Just a FWIW...re; the userChrome.css mentioned.
It has nothing to do with the Chrome browser.
ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css

&, as tanstaafl mentioned, you can always try a Complete Theme, which changes everything in the UI.
There are many to choose from.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/eN-US/thunde ... te-themes/

If none take your fancy, then you may have to wait till a "coder" comes along, to change the Status Bar colour to your liking.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-50.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.11.0.
RadioYachting. Conficker Test. (Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 27th, 2017, 11:31 am

A persona (theme) changes the background color of the toolbar/tab area at the top of the main window. Think of it as a "skin", if you've heard that term before. I use the green marble theme because that improves the contrast of the text in the toolbars, making them easier to read. It doesn't change the background color of any popup windows or list boxes, which (at least on my system) are still black text against a white background.

Return to Thunderbird Support