Dead Hard drive... Email addresses stored anywhere else?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Fred Savage

Dead Hard drive... Email addresses stored anywhere else?

Post by Fred Savage »

Hello everyone,

I've been happily using Thunderbird for years but last week my computer / hard drive crashed :-( I've downloaded it again onto my new computer but have just realized I've lost all 6,000 email addresses - my stupid fault for not backing them up. Does Mozilla store them somewhere or are they all lost?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.

Cheers, Fred
LIMPET235

Re: Dead Hard drive... Email addresses stored anywhere else

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Can you access the old HDD?
Say, in your comp or another comp or external drive or docking station or ?
All your "stuff" is in the Profile & can be transferred to the new M/C.
ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Move_to_a_new_PC
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Fred Savage

Post by Fred Savage »

Thanks for your reply but the hard drive is totally dead, and I can't get any information off it... Does Thunderbird store the email addresses anywhere? Thanks
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Thunderbird normally stores everything in the profile, which would be on your hard disk. There is a email address crawler add-on that you can use to search your folders for addresses and have it add them to the address book if you create a new profile and add that account. The biggest limitation is that will only add names and addresses. I'm assuming some of your messages are still on the mail server.

If some of your messages have .vcf files as attachments I think the MoreFunctionsForTheAddressBook add-on can import those files as contacts.

Once a year I send myself a message with my address books as an attachment in case I lose everything. As long as I keep a copy of that message on the server I can recover the address books.