Thunderbird not prompting for password

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Estibeiro

Thunderbird not prompting for password

Post by Estibeiro »

Since 07th March, Thunderbird mail has stopped working. Once it had prompted for a password on 07th march.but we did not enter the same and clicked on cancel button. thereafter it stopped and also does not prompt for a password.

You are requested to please guide us on where and how we can enter the password to start using the mails.

Further we have Thunderbird installed on 6 computer systems. However We are facing the above issue only on one of our system

We expect an early revert to our issue.

Thanks
Team Estibeiro
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird not prompting for password

Post by DanRaisch »

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"We expect an early revert to our issue."
MozillaZine is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla despite the similarity in names. We're a independent user community supporting several Mozilla applications.

Try logging into webmail with a browser. A Captcha might have been set. Logging in that way will give you an opportunity to clear it. Thunderbird has no concept of captchas, and doesn't provide a way to clear them. Typically a captcha is set if your email provider things something is suspicious.

If that doesn't help, try holding down the Shift key when launching Thunderbird. That will launch it in safe mode, temporarily disabling all add-ons. It is unlikely, but possible that an update was automatically updated and the updated add-on doens' play nicely with the version of Thunderbird you are using.
Estibeiro

Post by Estibeiro »

Dear Sir,

We have already tried that before.But tried it once more as per your suggestion.The saved password dialogue box does not contain any passwords when opened.Still I clicked on remove all and restarted Thunderbird.Nothing happened.When I click on "Get messages" , email does not sync.
Server settings - all verified and are correct.
Where is the option in Thunderbird to enter the password directly instead of waiting for a prompt. The saved password dialogue box does not work for entering password. Thunderbird was working perfectly over last 8 months.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Where is the option in Thunderbird to enter the password directly instead of waiting for a prompt.
Thunderbird does not provide that functionality. It will ask for a password when a valid connection is made with the server and the server prompts for the password.

Please see the post from tanstaafl for additional steps to take to try to resolve your issue.
Estibeiro

Post by Estibeiro »

Dear Tanstaaf

The version of Thunderbird is 45.8.0.I use hotmail.Hotmail does not use a captcha.Moreover I have the same email and Thunderbird installed on other computers which are working just fine.This is a bug with respect to the password storage system of Thunderbird.Yet i logged in through the web browser through my hotmail account and there were no issues.But Thunderbird wont sync. I tried sending a new mail and the response I got is produced below
"Sending of message failed". An error occurred while sending mail. Could not get password for smtp-mail.outlook.com."and we cannot cannot add password in the Saved password dialogue box. I even uninstalled and reinstalled Thunderbird, but no effect. Same error.

Thank you
Estibeiro

Post by Estibeiro »

I have no add ons installed