Global Search misidentifies sender

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ACFairbanks

Global Search misidentifies sender

Post by ACFairbanks »

Howdy,

I run TBird V 45.8.0 under Windows 10 V 1607 Build 14393.493.

When I use the Global Search function of TB, the selected messages display, but the sender field is incorrect in about half of the entries.

Instead of the actual sender being displayed, the name of a colleague in my office appears, rather than my name.

Oddly, this changes when I look at the display generated by clicking Open Email As List. Once I do that, the senders all appear correctly.

What might be causing this, and how can I eliminate the problem?

Sincere thanks,

A.C.
DanRaisch

Re: Global Search misidentifies sender

Post by DanRaisch »

Close Thunderbird. Navigate to the profile folder and locate and delete the file global-messages-db.sqlite. That is an index file for the Global Search function and it will be rebuilt after Thunderbird is relaunched. Allow some time for that index to be rebuilt before testing that functionality.
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hello Dan,

As in the past, I very much appreciate your kind and skillful assistance...

'Worked perfectly,

A.C.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Happy to hear that.
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi again,

I am now having a very similar difficulty:

Using TB 45.8.0 with Win 10.

When I use global search to locate a particular message it appears as it should.

Next, I click to display messages as a List. The message that was the original search criterion appears in the list and its Location displays as lnbox.

But that location is not correct. The message is definitely not in the Inbox (which contains only about 20 messages) when I look for it, and does not appear when I Filter for it.

When this happened about an hour ago, I deleted the global-messages-db.sqlite file as you had suggested. I returned to the system about an hour later, but the issue of the spurious message location has not been corrected.

What might I try to correct this hassle?

Sincere thanks,

A.C.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

It's POP...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to the \Mail sub-folder of your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart Thunderbird and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi Dan,

I followed the steps you described just above, and thank you for 'em.

When I re-launched TBird after doing that, the message that was incorrectly "located" did not appear in the Inbox, so I ran a Global Search, and was surprised to see that it did not appear at all.

I will add that I have not waited long enough for the Global Search indexing process to complete, but still thought it odd that the message no longer appears in the Global Search.

Also, this is not an emergency, in that I was able to find the message earlier (even though it displayed as being in an incorrect folder.)

I will next be at my system in a few hours, so will run Global Search for the now lost message again after providing enough time for any indexing to run to completion.

All the best, and many thanks as before,

A.C.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. Keep in mind that if that global index was corrupted or out of synch it may have been reporting messages as present in a folder in which they had existed but from which they were later moved or deleted.