Why dosent Thunderbird block Malware?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
BML

Why dosent Thunderbird block Malware?

Post by BML »

I received the following Email carrying an attachment which seemed strange because I didn't recollect paying my Vehicle tax by direct debit so I keyed the Email title into the Internet and it turned out to be Malware.
Notification of Vehicle Tax DD Payment Schedule (Ref: 000000-000005-322505-003)

Surely its possible for the Thunderbird equipment to identify Malware and if not why not?
FFman

Re: Why dosent Thunderbird block Malware?

Post by FFman »

This is normally caught by your anti-virus software (if it knows about it!), not TB.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
The 1st rule to observe when/if you receive any kind of email containing an attachment
from anywhere, is to NOT click that or any link.
Even some email from anyone of your "spoofed friends" could contain malware links.
Always ask them?

Thunderbird will only do what you tell it to.

Always check the "supposed sender" by direct contact with them by phone, just to check.

When in doubt, do not click the link.

If you want to try a free program that checks your email for, mainly spam,
then take a look at Mail Washer free.
They do have a Pro version.
MWF > http://www.mailwasher.net/

At least you will have the ability to vet your mail before it gets to your M/C.

(NB: I am not affiliated with either MW free, MWP or Firetrust. I'm just a Pro user.)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
BML

Post by BML »

Thank you all for the helpful advice especially about Mailwasher which I will try. I do wish software that would destroy the site of those who send out destructive Emails could be created.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

"Destroy the site......"

Not going to happen & "they'd" only create a new one a few moments/hours later & continue doing their thing.

&, You're welcome for the assist & info.

Of course, you could always set up a few Filters.
ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Message_Filters
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

BML wrote:Surely its possible for the Thunderbird equipment to identify Malware and if not why not?
Its very expensive for Thunderbird to duplicate functionality that is available elsewhere. There is also the cost of maintaining it. You probably have some anti-virus and/or anti-malware software running on your system. Your email provider also scans the email. What value added would Thunderbird provide if they triplicated that functionality?

Personally I use BitDefender as my anti-virus scanner. It does not "know" about email but will get called automatically when a file is opened. That occurs when you open an attachment. I also use the free version of Malwarebytes 3.0. https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... us-is-bad/ explains some unexpected risks of using anti-virus software.