cant get i/c emails on my new pc

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Bramble1

cant get i/c emails on my new pc

Post by Bramble1 »

I have a new pc which uses Mozilla Thunderbird and I’ve had all my email accounts transferred into it from my old pc which was using Outlook Express.
All the accounts switched over successfully except for one ie my ‘Onetel’ account.
What is happening is that I can only send outgoing Onetel emails from my new pc but incoming emails are received only on the old pc.
After a call with a Talktalk Onetel customer support person this morning I have checked the account Server details in both Outlook Express and Thunderbird and they are the same and are correct according to the support person.
I’m thinking that if I deleted the Onetel account from my Outlook Express on my old pc could this force Thunderbird to receive the i/c Onetel emails on the new pc?
Can anyone advise me?
Reflective

Re: cant get i/c emails on my new pc

Post by Reflective »

You've posted your issue in the wrong forum. There's a dedicated Thunderbird support forum here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=39
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Thunderbird Support...

Is this a POP3 or IMAP account?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Bramble1

Post by Bramble1 »

LIMPET235 wrote:Moving to Thunderbird Support...

Is this a POP3 or IMAP account?
It's a PoP3 account.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I’m thinking that if I deleted the Onetel account from my Outlook Express on my old pc could this force Thunderbird to receive the i/c Onetel emails on the new pc?
That would not normally be necessary. What is happening when you click on "Get Mail" in Thunderbird for that account? What error message, if any, are you seeing?
Just to confirm, the account is set up i Thunderbird a POP type account, correct? ( Menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue. )
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I'm guessing your Outlook Express is set to download messages but is NOT set to leave messages on the server. So when OE express downloads the messages from that account they are deleted from the server and no longer accessible for TBird.

See if you can find an OE setting for that account that will leave messages on the server after download. Failing that see if you can find a setting that tells it not to download messages automatically, not at startup or periodically afterward. Or just change your login username or password, or even the POP server name, so OE can't successfully log into the account.

For the time being you can just shut down OE and not let it run to see if any NEW incoming messages get downloaded to TBird.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Bramble1

Post by Bramble1 »

Just to let you know that it’s all sorted. I checked the settings and changed them as you suggested but without any luck and then shut down OE to see what would happen but that didn’t work either. Finally, after pulling all my hair out, I went into ‘File’ then ‘Get New Messages For’ clicked on the OE account, entered the password and then all the Onetel emails came flooding in.
This gave me another Inbox solely for the Onetel account. So I’ve now got three Inboxes ie the first original Thunderbird inbox, the second one that got imported from Outlook Express and finally the third one exclusive to Onetel. So I’m happy at this outcome...actually I’m delirious ‘cos I’ve got my life back and can now finally retire the old pc to the attic.
Thanks everyone for the responses.