Can not install theme

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
joelee

Can not install theme

Post by joelee »

I am long time user of TB and now using portable TB 45.8 on XP and Win7, I couldn't install any theme via add on, what I can do is to browse addon.mozilla.org with Firefox, but whenever I click on the add to thunerbird button the theme is installed to FF instead ! if I browse with Chrome with TB running it said I must be running Thunderbird to install the theme ! I try to download the XPI but can't find it, I don't know this is due to the portable version or something wrong with V45 any idea ?

Btw I was trying to search for answer before posting, but no matter what I type in for search it still said my search is not valid, for example "can not install theme" what's wrong with that ??
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only ;P
tanstaafl

Re: Can not install theme

Post by tanstaafl »

The behavior depends upon whether you try to install a theme or a complete theme. Themes (formerly called personas) will get installed by Firefox. I thought the download button used to popup a window that let you download the file. Right clicking and choosing "save link as" doesn't work as it downloads the html page, not the theme. If you press the download button for a "complete theme" (it can change icons, toolbars, scrollbars etc., not just the top background) it works as expected.

If you want to install a theme (persona) I suggest you use the personas plus add-on. It adds a command to the tools menu. You don't have to login to install a persona though thats more convenient as the back button will work. You can always use tools -> personas -> featured -> more from featured

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... us/?src=ss
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... te-themes/ has the complete themes.
joelee

Post by joelee »

Thanks, I just want to install the top panel theme like on Firefox, but it seems I can only install complete theme on TB, and I can not install any add on within TB, there is nothing shows up in there. Since TB is no actively updated I am looking elsewhere...
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The first link I gave you is for an add-on to let you install a theme/persona.

What is the problem installing the add-on? You need to download it from the web site and click on the the gear link icon in the upper right corner of tools -> add-ons to install it, tools -> add-ons -> get add-ons doesn't find that add-on when you search for persona. Then you can use tools -> personas etc. to select a persona.
joelee

Post by joelee »

Oh I see now thanks !