Cannot normalize fonts or font sizes

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dianebk2003

Cannot normalize fonts or font sizes

Post by dianebk2003 »

I use Thunderbird for work, I need to correct this issue ASAP - the fonts and font sizes seem to be arbitrarily changing, and I'm at my wits' end trying to fix it. I'm on a PC with Windows 10, with Chrome as my default browser, although I also have Mozilla Firefox. I do Customer Service, which is 95% email, so I write a lot of them. This has become a huge, major mindf** of an issue.

Emails coming in looked fine, as far as I could tell, and I wasn't aware my outgoing emails were looking odd until my boss suggested I make everything consistent. Apparently, when I cut and pasted FAQs from set templates, the fonts were sometimes changing, and I wouldn't see it on my end until I received a direct reply that contained my original email. (My signature was a nightmare to fix, but it's finally working properly.) But my attempts to fix the font problem just seemed to make things worse, and now all incoming email is in a tiny font that is killing my eyes. It also looks ridiculous in Replies and Forwards.

The font and font sizes in previously opened emails also has changed in some, but not in others.

All I want is for my default text to be Arial, size 10, which is what my signature (pulled from a saved HTML file) is set to. If I start typing on the same line as my signature, the font remains consistent, but if I start anywhere else, the font and font size keeps changing, no matter how many times I reset it in Accounts Settings, Options or while composing or replying. Body Text, Paragraph and font size seem to be only suggestions.
LIMPET235

Re: Cannot normalize fonts or font sizes

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
This extension may help with your "changing font sizes."
> https://freeshell.de/~kaosmos/quoteandc ... er-en.html
Check the details/specs on the page.....eg; # 13.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dianebk2003

Post by dianebk2003 »

So far the extension seems to working. The emails I compose are looking consistent. So thank you for that!

Is there anything that can be done about the font size on incoming email? It's still so tiny, although I'm told forwards and replies are in whatever font was used in the original message to me, regardless of how it looks to me. That's good, but in the meantime those emails are killing my eyes.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You're welcome for the assist.

As for the incoming emails....?
Ask the sender as to what size font they are using?

Perhaps this extension may help?
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... src=search
Please read the instructions & view the images.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

dianebk2003

Post by dianebk2003 »

The emails are coming in from all over the world - it is a customer service position - plus I get emails from other employees, including bosses. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. One person's emails look fine, then the next dozen will be super tiny, then a super tiny one will come in that I have to forward and it looks normal when I take a look at it in my Sent folder. Or it will look normal, except for the header on the original email, which will still be teeny tiny. (Those just look weird, as well as not very professional.)

A zoom function is a nice idea, but having to use it on almost every email just isn't efficient. Plus, my Thunderbird didn't use to do this!

Do you think an uninstall/reinstall would make a difference? I know I'd have to reinstall my add-ons, but I don't have many, so that's not an issue. What most concerns me is keeping my folders and emails, as I handle several different email accounts with different identities, and it was a lot of work setting each one up. I need to keep those folders and everything that's in them.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Nope. An un/re-install usually does not "fix" anything.
The corruption usually/always occurs in you Profile, which is in a different directory.
ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird
It's always a good idea to back up your Profile on occasions, just to be safe.
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup

&, there's links on how to transfer your "stuff" into the "new" profile if/when required.
You could try "Mozilla" Safe Mode, (not Windows), to see if any extension is in error.
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode