IMAP Issues with Thunderbird and Outlook.com?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Re: IMAP Issues with Thunderbird and Outlook.com?

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm still having problems with my IMAP outlook.com account using TB52, but "eM client" 7.0 has no problems with it. So it doesn't seem to be as simple as only Outlook based apps/webmail work.
H2OO

Post by H2OO »

I haven't tried using anything but laptops , 2 of them. I do not use a tablet or phone to get mail. All other email services other than Outlook/Hotmail are working just fine.
Mojo88

Post by Mojo88 »

Thunderbird seems unable to access Outlook/Hotmail for me. I can access the Hotmail via web browser (Firefox) and it works perfectly. So this would seem to be a Thunderbird issue, is that correct?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

So this would seem to be a Thunderbird issue, is that correct?
Not necessarily. Accessing the account through a browser involved different servers so it is not possible to compare performance of the web mail page to the performance of an email client. Add to that the fact that Thunderbird is not the only email client currently reported to be having difficulties accessing Hotmail/Outlook.
H2OO

Post by H2OO »

Sure hope someone is working this issue.. it's getting frustrating.
I did open all my email accounts under Windows Mail but I really do not like that application. It's not as good as TB.
Do you think TB support is aware and working this problem?
Mojo88

Post by Mojo88 »

DanRaisch wrote:
So this would seem to be a Thunderbird issue, is that correct?
Not necessarily. Accessing the account through a browser involved different servers so it is not possible to compare performance of the web mail page to the performance of an email client. Add to that the fact that Thunderbird is not the only email client currently reported to be having difficulties accessing Hotmail/Outlook.
OK, thank you. I love Thunderbird and Firefox. Mozilla is the best..... :D
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you think TB support is aware and working this problem?
Really couldn't say but it's is possible that the issues are more on the Hotmail side rather than in Thunderbird. There may have been changes in required client settings that Hotmail has not communicated to users or has not yet firmed up.
Mojo88

Post by Mojo88 »

DanRaisch wrote:Really couldn't say but it's is possible that the issues are more on the Hotmail side rather than in Thunderbird. There may have been changes in required client settings that Hotmail has not communicated to users or has not yet firmed up.
Yes, this is my suspicion. It would not surprise me if Hotmail announces that "you must upgrade to Windows 10 in order for full continued functionality of your Hotmail services via external client". It seems that Microsoft will go to any length to force upgrades on users like me (happily using Windows 7).
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Not sure that's their plan here as several posters are having problems with Hotmail under Windows 10.
Mojo88

Post by Mojo88 »

DanRaisch wrote:Not sure that's their plan here as several posters are having problems with Hotmail under Windows 10.
Thank you for that info. That's actually a little bit comforting. Thanks again! 8-)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Somebody in a related thread on SUMO suggested https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... n-US&ad=US explains the change in behavior. I have the pre-upgrade configuration. I deleted my account in Thunderbird and added it again. It took three tries before it accepted the username/password.

I finally was able to change the folder subscriptions (which is an improvement) but it continues to time out when trying to read some short messages.
Mojo88

Post by Mojo88 »

tanstaafl wrote:Somebody in a related thread on SUMO suggested https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... n-US&ad=US explains the change in behavior. I have the pre-upgrade configuration. I deleted my account in Thunderbird and added it again. It took three tries before it accepted the username/password.

I finally was able to change the folder subscriptions (which is an improvement) but it continues to time out when trying to read some short messages.
Oh thanks, this is a good find and it's a real possibility that this 'upgrade' is causing the T-Bird problems. I checked my online Outlook/Hotmail email via browser and I have "post-upgrade" account.

So it seems like best solution is to delete the Outlook/Hotmail account in T-Bird and then add it back???? Are there any other hidden T-Bird settings that need to be deleted that might give this a better chance of success??

Thanks very much
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It could have been luck or a coincidence that I was able to refresh my folder subscriptions. I still can't read most of my messages (all of which are very short and have no attachments). Its basically still not working. Taking three tries to login is also consistent with the mail server being so slow that things break. Since I don't have this problem with the em client this sounds like a interoperability problem due to Thunderbird sending a slightly different sequence of commands (which are legal, and used to work fine before, but don't match the sequence that outlook and em client use).

I found https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1353221 (Exchange (outlook.com) and gmail observed imap issues with thunderbird) but no recent bug reports complaining about hotmail/outlook either being unusable or very slow. I suggest somebody submit one at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ and then post a link to it. If you do that I suggest you include a link to both this thread and https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Thunderb ... -p/1389369 in the bug report.
Mojo88

Post by Mojo88 »

tanstaafl wrote:It could have been luck or a coincidence that I was able to refresh my folder subscriptions. I still can't read most of my messages (all of which are very short and have no attachments). Its basically still not working. Taking three tries to login is also consistent with the mail server being so slow that things break. Since I don't have this problem with the em client this sounds like a interoperability problem due to Thunderbird sending a slightly different sequence of commands (which are legal, and used to work fine before, but don't match the sequence that outlook and em client use).

I found https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1353221 (Exchange (outlook.com) and gmail observed imap issues with thunderbird) but no recent bug reports complaining about hotmail/outlook either being unusable or very slow. I suggest somebody submit one at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ and then post a link to it. If you do that I suggest you include a link to both this thread and https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Thunderb ... -p/1389369 in the bug report.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1355885
OK, Bugzilla report filed. I have never used that service before, so hopefully I submitted it correctly.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It looks okay. I changed its status to NEW (confirming your bug report is valid).