html code showing up in sent emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Budee

html code showing up in sent emails

Post by Budee »

My mother is having an issue and I can't replicate it. Her emails are showing up with HTML code and it's causing problems. Here is a sample:
----------------------------
<html>
<head>

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
</head>
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
<p><br>
</p>
------------------------------

I'm not sure how to replicate what she did and how to stop it. Any ideas?
tanstaafl

Re: html code showing up in sent emails

Post by tanstaafl »

That might be due to a corrupted folder. Its common to send messages with both a plain text and HTML part of the message. Sometimes you also see a message with both a plain text and a HTML version of the same message body, and which one is displayed depends upon your view settings. Those pieces of the message are called MIME body parts. If the HTML MIME body parts follows the plain text MIME body part, and due to message fragmentation it loses the headers that tells Thunderbird its another MIME body part, Thunderbird will interpret it as part of the plain text MIME body part. So its displaying the HTML tags as is (plain text), rather than interpreting them as HTML.

Another possibility is the MIME layout of the message is too confusing for Thunderbird to parse/understand so it treats a HTML MIME body part as plain text.

Is the problem on your system just when you receive a message from her, or on her system where many of the messages she received have this problem?
Budee

Post by Budee »

The problem is for the person who received the email. My mother types an email like usual and it comes across with the html code showing.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Hmm. Try having her in tools -> options -> composition -> general-> send options check the checkbox for "send message as plain text if possible" and select "send mail as HTML anyway" in the list box below it.
Budee

Post by Budee »

tanstaafl wrote:Hmm. Try having her in tools -> options -> composition -> general-> send options check the checkbox for "send message as plain text if possible" and select "send mail as HTML anyway" in the list box below it.
That sends out a plain text email. My mother has this fancy signature and wants the html code and the ability to do things like make bold/italic fonts in her emails. Any idea on what setting got changed? Or is there a way to do a repair inspection. I googled and all I could find was a way to repair the mail folder, not the Thunderbird program itself.