Forwarding with filters

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Haircut

Forwarding with filters

Post by Haircut »

During the weekend, I forward our support email to a google email address I can access at home. The filter is very simple. To: Contains support. I also told this filter to "Filter After junk collection"

But it does not, I still get all of the junk mail. When I get back to work on Monday, all of the spam is in my trash folder.

Is this broken and, if it is, is there a work around?
DanRaisch

Re: Forwarding with filters

Post by DanRaisch »

How are you accessing that Google address from home? As a POP or IMAP account?
Haircut

Post by Haircut »

The server the mail is being forwarded from is a non-google server (our host is speakeasy.net, POP3 at the office). The Google account is IMAP but this spam should not be reaching the account to begin with.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you regularly compact the message folders? Compacting is something that needs to be done regularly in any email program, particularly with POP type accounts. We recommend weekly, but many of us do it more often. When done often enough, it can be an extremely fast process. Not doing so can lead to a variety of problems. See this about how to and why it's so important: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

If you haven't been doing that before, first back up your Thunderbird Profile -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup then compact all folders. If 'compacting' them (and leaving a long enough time for the process to complete) doesn't fully resolve the problem then do the following on the POP account:

Close Thunderbird. Find and delete all of the files with the .msf file extension in your profile folder/Mail http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder#Thunderbird including your Local Folders, especially if you are using the global inbox. You must have "View hidden files and folders" on http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=272 and you need to set "hide extensions for known file types" off (just below View Hidden) if you are using Windows. These are your mail summary files and do not hold any messages themselves. They will be rebuilt the next time you open each folder in Thunderbird. Compact all your folders when you have completed this.
Haircut

Post by Haircut »

Compacted everytime Thunderbird suggests it. I'll try the msf suggestion
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Haircut wrote:During the weekend, I forward our support email to a google email address I can access at home. The filter is very simple. To: Contains support. I also told this filter to "Filter After junk collection"...
Have you tried "Filter before junk collection"?
I just checked my filters and did a bit of experimentation with my Thunderbird and noticed that the default setting – which works – is to "Filter before junk collection". Now I don't know if this is because I'm using Thunderbird in French and that they mixed up strings in translation, or if indeed you need to "filter before junk collection" to achieve the desired results.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
Haircut

Post by Haircut »

That wouldn't make much sense so I tried it. I'll let you know what happens.
Haircut

Post by Haircut »

mgagnonlv wrote:
Haircut wrote:During the weekend, I forward our support email to a google email address I can access at home. The filter is very simple. To: Contains support. I also told this filter to "Filter After junk collection"...
Have you tried "Filter before junk collection"?
I just checked my filters and did a bit of experimentation with my Thunderbird and noticed that the default setting – which works – is to "Filter before junk collection". Now I don't know if this is because I'm using Thunderbird in French and that they mixed up strings in translation, or if indeed you need to "filter before junk collection" to achieve the desired results.
That worked. Thanks.