compose html tab not showing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mbet

compose html tab not showing

Post by mbet »

Hello and thanks in advance.

Windows 10, Thunderbird 52 (applied also to 45.8), Avira anti-virus, Windows Firewall is on

Problem: HTML tab in compose not showing.
Tools > Options > Composition > General > Configure Text Format Behavior > Send Options : Checked Send the message in both plain text and html

Thunderbird is allowed through the Windows Firewall. Avira anti-virus does not scan Thunderbird as an exception.

Is there a more advanced configuration setting that would bring back my HTML edit tab?

/mbet
tanstaafl

Re: compose html tab not showing

Post by tanstaafl »

I think you meant the HTML toolbar is missing. I'm not aware of a "HTML tab" when composing a message. The HTML toolbar only appears if you are configured to create a HTML message and have already typed in the recipient.

"Send the message in both plain text and html" adds a plain text message body IF you created a HTML message. It does that by basically making a copy of the HTML message body, stripping the HTML tags and leaving the rest of the message, and then adding it as a separate plain text MIME body part to the existing message. I suspect you created a plain text message and thought it would automatically add a HTML version, which you could see/edit via a HTML tab.

If you configure Thunderbird to create a HTML message that should work around your problem as "Send the message in both plain text and html" will transparently add the corresponding plain text body when its sent.