Run 2 versions of TB in the same computer?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
lovemyfoxy

Run 2 versions of TB in the same computer?

Post by lovemyfoxy »

On Win 7, is this possible, or will all email open automatically in the default version?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
DanRaisch

Re: Run 2 versions of TB in the same computer?

Post by DanRaisch »

It may be possible but please explain what it is you will actually be doing with the two versions.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I was running v.11 happily for a long time, then switched to 45.8, which is full of bugs. I want to reinstall 11, but I don't want to uninstall 45.8 till I know 11 is running properly again. Then I 'll remove 45.8. The nonsense with Verizon/AOL made me leery.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There's a big gap between those versions and trying to use both against the same profile might cause issues. I can't say it will but I would be concerned that it might.

Back up the entire profile. Delete just the 45.8 program and install 11 (or whichever older version.) Run that for a time and if there are no problems, your set. If you find problems, restore the profile and start over.

What sort of problem are you finding with 45.8. I haven't seen many that aren't related to extensions that are out of date.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Post #6
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3028845

One of my regular recipients, a close friend, has vision issues and can't read that tiny text. I switched to 45.8 only because I was having problems with Verizon's shift to the AOL server, and I wanted to eliminate one variable from the mix.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Yahoo groups, really?

Going back to v11 from 45.8.0 in the same Thunderbird profile is not advisable. There is potential for corrupting folders in that gap due to a change in folder handling. Before trying to go back to 11 using a _different_ profile, I'd try version 52, and more effort into finding addons and other solutoins to your issue. Especially because you are on a mailing list, you'd be well advised to use a current version of TB rather than v11 with 4 years of missing security fixes. Even version 38 or 31 would be a better choice.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Yes, Yahoo Groups. I run an artists group, and there are very few sites that offer that kind of group email, so we put up with its quirks.

I've always felt that, unlike FF, security didn't matter that much on TB as long as my own security programs are updated. TB filters out spam, and I don't click on suspicious emails. And I shouldn't need an extension to keep my font, when it was always taken for granted before, as long as I use a font native to Windows. And I don't see any difference in my folders.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Security programs tend to focus on webby stuff more than mail. Also external programs are not a great substitute for fixing code in Thunderbird to avoid someone being able to damage or taking over your computer via message contents that exploit code flaws. Messages that can do this might not be recognized as spam. (Plus, to be honest, is Thunderbird super great at recognizing spam. And lastly there are other non-mail attack vectors within TB: news, rss, chat, calendar, etc
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I don't do news, rss, chat, calendar, etc, except for the <i>NYTimes</i>, and I don't open email from unknown sources. Yes, TB is great with spam, which is an asset, because Verizon fails to filter about 100 spams per day.

OK, switched to 52. "Send without save" doesn't work now, although the extensions list doesn't have it grayed out. Half of my emails are still coming back in size 4 or 6 Times New Roman.