converted imap > pop - accessing sent folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
pete of ebor

converted imap > pop - accessing sent folder

Post by pete of ebor »

I have an email address which I originally set up in TB as imap, despite the isp suggesting it should have been pop3. It worked most of the time, but occasionally would refuse to connect, or the connection would be terminated. As it was not my main email, it wasn't that important. Very few people used it. Under imap, inbox & sent were fully accessible - when it worked. I decided to convert it to POP so I deleted the imap account in TB and set up a new pop account. It works fine now. The only minor issue is that if I log on via browser and their webmal interface, all my old sent messages are still on the server, but obviously not on TB - as I understand it, pop mail only downloads incoming mail. Is there any way to copy those sent mails on the server back to TB ?
DanRaisch

Re: converted imap > pop - accessing sent folder

Post by DanRaisch »

In Thunderbird, create a new sub-folder of Local Folders and call it "MovedInbox" (without the quotes). Copy all messages from the Thunderbird Inbox to that new sub-folder. Compact the Inbox folder. Close Thunderbird.

Access the account using a browser. Move (temporarily) any messages currently in the server inbox to another folder on the server. Move all messages from the server Sent folder to the server Inbox.

Launch Thunderbird and it will download all of those Sent messages to the Thunderbird Inbox folder. Copy those messages to the Thunderbird Sent folder. Delete the messages from the Thunderbird Inbox folder and then compact that folder.
pete of ebor

Post by pete of ebor »

Thanks DanRaisch. Sorted.

:D
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome, Pete.