v50 Weird Behaviour

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
wisgro

v50 Weird Behaviour

Post by wisgro »

Opened TB (v50) yesterday as usual and discovered changes I did not make and are not cool. The subject bar is squashed and I can't stretch it. The function buttons on the bar such as reply, reply all, delete, etc. are squashed too. Despite handles appearing on the bottom of the message window the window cannot be adjusted in either max or min window setting. The message window shows about 6 of the last received and cannot be adjusted. A calendar add on appeared yesterday and I couldn't get rid of it. It's gone today. It appears that I can no longer adjust anything and have lost use of the function buttons unless I very, very carefully maneuver the pointer over the squashed left overs. Not good.
Have searched the kb, help and troubleshooting without success. Any advice greatly appreciated.
DanRaisch

Re: v50 Weird Behaviour

Post by DanRaisch »

Since you didn't say what troubleshooting you searched, let's start with this -- Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
wisgro

Re: v50 Weird Behaviour Safe Mode

Post by wisgro »

Dan, I ran safe mode as you suggested and nothing changed. Function buttons and subject bar are still squashed and I cannot adjust any mail windows.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Clear the browser cache and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird or C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.

Note that your saved messages, address books, settings, passwords, etc (if any) are stored in a different directory from the program files and will not be removed by deleting the directory identified above.

This thread http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 5#p5239885 has a more detailed version of the above instructions if needed.
wisgro

Post by wisgro »

Thanks Dan. I'll try tomorrow and let you know.
wisgro

Post by wisgro »

Sorry Dan. I don't use this board much and navigated to the wrong place.
I want to make sure before something else goes wrong. I found the TB directory and C:\Windows\Temp. Opened Temp and found folders and files from other programs among a list of files named perfdata... each with alpha numeric designations. The files and sub folders do not seem related to TB. Should I delete all files and folders located in C:\Windows\Temp? Does the perfdata belong to TB?
Do I have to uninstall the current copy of TB before installing a new copy?
Another oddity; after checking your response last night a window opened suggesting I download an update for TB ver. 45. Weird.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

None of the files in that Temp directory should be needed. There may be a few files with the current date that can not be deleted because Windows is using them in some way but the rest can normally be deleted without concern.
You don't need to uninstall anything as you'll be deleting the directory in which the Thunderbird program was installed.
wisgro

Post by wisgro »

Unfortunately, when I followed your suggestions nothing changed except the version. I had v50 now I have v45. Not a big deal I know however I still can't adjust any windows and the from address on the from/subject/to bar and function buttons on the right are still squashed. Just a reminder that everything functioned as it should until the calendar somehow installed itself then disappeared.
wisgro

Post by wisgro »

Will this latest mysterious malfunction of my copy of TB remain unsolved no matter how many times I reinstall? To reiterate: despite my setting to notify me of updates, a calendar add on installed itself in my copy of TB v50. As a result, the window sizing handles do nothing. Window size is frozen. The from address and buttons, (reply, forward, delete, etc.), on the from/subject/to bar are squashed. Being the world's worst programmer I can only hope someone creates a fix eventually.