<Resolved> Thunderbird won't download after program update

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DennisG777

<Resolved> Thunderbird won't download after program update

Post by DennisG777 »

I updated Thunderbird and found I couldn't send with one email account, but could receive. I got on the horn with tech support for that host and found the update had changed one of the ports. So I changed it back and it worked fine.

However, with another account I could send but not receive - just the opposite problem! I got on the horn with tech support for that host, and all my settings appear as they should. BUT...it appears Thunderbird is trying to log into that host with various user names from all my accounts. When it tries the one it should be using, it connects and immediately disconnects.

Even though it disconnects, the status bar tells me Thunderbird is still connected. After a minute or two it times out. Nothing gets downloaded. So, I can send with this account but not download.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis
Last edited by DennisG777 on April 23rd, 2017, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird won't download after program update

Post by DanRaisch »

Who is the provider for that problem account?
DennisG777

Post by DennisG777 »

Hi Dan,

It's hostmysite.com.

Not sure why that would matter. There's clearly something wrong with Thunderbird if it's using the usernames from other accounts while trying to login. I know it had to be because the tech support guy told me the user names it was trying, and I recognized them from my other accounts.

There are other accounts that aren't working, too. This is my main one. I'm hoping fixing it will fix them all. They're not all at the same host.
DennisG777

Post by DennisG777 »

High strangeness is going on. I tried to go back to a restore point before the Thunderbird upgrade, and after the restore point ran I got a notice that something interrupted the process and nothing had been changed. I didn't have time to do it again, but on a hunch I opened Thunderbird and lo and behold, it worked again, and with the upgraded version number.

My filters were wiped out in the process, but at least it's working again. No more upgrades for me.

I guess this thread can be closed now.