Migrating accounts, mail and calendar data to new PC

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Enigman

Migrating accounts, mail and calendar data to new PC

Post by Enigman »

I am in the process of setting up a new laptop and I need to move all aspects of my previous Thunderbird setup to the new machine, including the calendar data.

I have been able to move the entire profile directory tree from the old system to the new one. However, when I start up Thunderbird after the move, the mail is all present, but the e-mail accounts are not. I have a huge list of e-mail accounts so I do not want to manually recreate them.

As for the calendar, when I first installed TB on the new machine I used export/import for each calendar type and was able to bring all calendar data up in the original profile. But in order to move the old profile AND use a different profile location than the standard like I did before, I created a new profile in the desired location and then copied all my old profile files to there. That worked for mail, but nothing else. My calendars are only in the default location and the e-mail accounts are not active in the new profile.

HELP!!! This is making me nuts. ](*,) Where are all the data types stored and what are the files called and/or how do I get this stuff all migrated?

Why doesn't TB have a build-in function for this like Configuration Export/Import? Why does this have to be so bizarre?

Thanks.

- Jim -
tanstaafl

Re: Migrating accounts, mail and calendar data to new PC

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Move_to_a_new_PC . I suspect profiles.ini on the new laptop does not know about the old profile due to the way you copied the data. If you don't like using Mobackup (which will update profiles.ini for you when you restore the backup on the new laptop) see the "Quick and Dirty without using Mozbackup" section.
Enigman

Re: Migrating accounts, mail and calendar data to new PC

Post by Enigman »

Thanks for the pointer, however I couldn't wait long enough to figure all this out so I did a fresh install of TB then moved the calendar using Export/Import, manually copied the mail, and then manually recreated all the mail accounts. That yielded a clean setup on the new machine.

Thanks again.
- Jim -