Change default profile - help please? SORTED

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
madmudmob

Change default profile - help please? SORTED

Post by madmudmob »

I've recently had to change my pc and the chap who transferred things over thought he had merged my old thunderbird with my new. But, it seems I have two and the newest is the default whereas I would like to get the older one back as it was set up just as I liked it. I'd renamed the Trash folder to Rubbish etc and set up many filters. I realise all of this may not still be there but figure it is worth a shot.
For the life of me I cannot find out how to change one from Default to the other .... could some kind techy-minded person guide me please?

Last edited by madmudmob on April 24th, 2017, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mud is good!
madmudmob

Re: Change default profile - help please?

Post by madmudmob »

What started this was I tried to copy this old thread from me last year and rename the Trash file to Rubbish and failed miserably ...
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14565089

I thought I had followed all correctly and changed the settings/names etc ....

If it is not feasible to alter the Default User Profile perhaps someone could help me see where I must be getting this wrong please?
Mud is good!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Run the profile manager, select the desired default profile, and check the checkbox for "use the selected profile without asking at startup". Then press the "tart Thunderbird" button. The screen shot in the KB article was from an older version when the text was "don't ask at startup" instead.
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Thankyou tanstaafl .... I must be going wrong somewhere.
I do this .....
and get just the one profile listed (have unticked the Use this selected profile without asking at startup box and retried but just the same) .....
Mud is good!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

That basically says that Thunderbird only knows about the existence of one profile on that machine. If there are any others you need to tell it about them per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird

How do you run the second profile? Are you using a command line argument to specify its location per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Running_from_ ... hunderbird ? By the way, that's a useful way to verify your other profile is valid/good if you have problems telling profiles.ini about its existence and you don't know what to blame.
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

As far as I know I haven't run that second profile ... off to read the link right now, thanks.
Mud is good!
madmudmob

Re: Change default profile - help please? SORTED

Post by madmudmob »

I cheated .... forwarded my important emails to my Gmail then uninstalled Thunderbird with Revo Uninstaller.
Then reinstalled the English UK version and my Trash folder is now called Deleted .... yay! Resent myself my important emails and will build up from there.
Mud is good!