Help needed for a very un-savvy person

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jeanoldbean

Help needed for a very un-savvy person

Post by jeanoldbean »

I'm interesting in swapping my email client for something better. Thunderbird will hopefully suit me but which version should I choose please? I have Windows 7 Professional (64 bit).

Which version would be best suited to an old person like me who is not very tech savvy please? :oops:

Thanks in advance. Jean
DanRaisch

Re: Help needed for a very un-savvy person

Post by DanRaisch »

In most situations it's best to use the current release version of a program. For Thunderbird that would be version 52.0.1 which can be downloaded here -- https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

From what email client will you be switching to Thunderbird?
jeanoldbean

Post by jeanoldbean »

Thanks Dan. I purchased Complete Office but I only wanted it for the Mail element it contained. It is one of the most useless things I've ever purchased. I've had so many problems the suppliers are going to refund my money. Prior to that I was using Windows Live Mail. I have a small business so I want something good enough for that but not too complicated for me to handle.

Jean
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sorry to hear you had that experience. We'll be here to help if you need pointers with Thunderbird.
jeanoldbean

Post by jeanoldbean »

I'm doing quite nicely now with Thunderbird as my email client. The only thing wrong is I need to access an Australian dictionary. Does one exist please? Failing that, an English one would be fine.
Thanks in advance, Jean
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There's apparently no specific Australian dictionary but you can get an English dictionary from this site -- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... age-tools/ (Although there should be a default dictionary in Thunderbird based on the localization of the installer program you downloaded.)
jeanoldbean

Post by jeanoldbean »

Wonderful. Thank you.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
tsor

Post by tsor »

DanRaisch wrote:There's apparently no specific Australian dictionary but you can get an English dictionary from this site -- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... age-tools/ (Although there should be a default dictionary in Thunderbird based on the localization of the installer program you downloaded.)
Apparently there is an Australian dictionary at: Tools ==> Options ==> Composision ==> Spelling Tab ==> Click on 'Download more Dictionaries' Scroll down all locales and find: "English (Australian) English (Australian) Download Dictionary"

That takes you here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... ictionary/

after downloading [desktop] and ignoring the 'works Thunderbird 18 till 33' the dictionary installed following the install from file procedure correctly. At least here with TB 45

BTW after uninstalling the directory I returned to: '.... live again in the world of crazy American spelling .... '
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks, tsor. I used the Mozilla dictionary web page to look for the Australian dictionary and didn't try the AMO pages.