Thunderbird Portable Print Problem

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
arielh

Thunderbird Portable Print Problem

Post by arielh »

I cannot print email message. One paragraph text, when printed, turns into nearly a 1000 blank pages. I uninstall and reinstall, with no avail. Any advice for solution?
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird Portable Print Problem

Post by tanstaafl »

See if the same problem occurs with the normal Mozilla version of Thunderbird.
See if file -> print preview shows a single page. That will help isolate when/where the problem occurs.
Try a different print queue and see if it has any problems.
Try deleting (right click and select reset) the printer specific settings using the config editor, restart, and let it add the printer specific settings again. I'd assume the problem is with either your profiles settings, or the print queue. I would not expect re-installing Thunderbird to help.
arielh

Post by arielh »

Thanks for your reply. I always check print preview before printing anything. After repeated reboots, and saw no change, I decided to print into PDF, and discover the 900+ pages are all blank pages.

I'd love to follow your last point. Can you advise where I start using "config editor"?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

tools -> options -> advanced -> general -> config editor. Its equivalent to about:config in Firefox. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Modify_Thunderbird_settings
arielh

Post by arielh »

Thanks, tanstaafl. I did all the advice (right click, reset, restart), but the problem persists. I am not sure if "it add[s] the printer specific settings again". I checked again and again just now the config editor, but repeatedly the program hangs ("not responding").
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Does it hang when it starts, or after you do something specific like open the config editor or try to print?

I have a Brother laser printer so I have print.printer_Brother_HL-L2320D_series.* settings which I reset.
arielh

Post by arielh »

It only hangs when I open the config editor and enter any text. Earlier I reset "Adobe PDF"
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What is "Adobe PDF" for? I have both a Nitro PDF and a Microsoft PDF print queue for my laser printer. They print messages by storing them as .pdf files. None of the queue names or PDF is stored in the settings.
arielh

Post by arielh »

Adobe PDF is for printing documents (in this case email messages from Thunderbird) as PDF files
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If it hangs when printing a message as a PDF file it might be due to the window for specifying the PDF filename being obscured/behind another window.
arielh

Post by arielh »

Thanks for the best intention and extended efforts to help me.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

This is a Known Issue in TB 52. See Bug 1353625 for a discussion and possible workaround in c#23. If you wish to revert to TB 45 for the meantime, it is available here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/ ... 8.0/win32/

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbi ... easenotes/

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1353625
arielh

Post by arielh »

Thanks sfhowes. I am using Thunderbird Portable Apps not the regular Thunderbird. Can you tell me where I may access to Portable TB45?

By the way, the current problematic version I use is 52.0.1 (32-bit). Although the "Release Notes" say the issue has been resolved, this is not the case on my portable apps.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Portable TB 45 is available here.

The release notes for 52.0.1 cited above tell me this is an unresolved issue, and in fact many users of the non-portable edition have confirmed it.
arielh

Post by arielh »

hi sfhowes: you are awesome. problem solved. case closed. many, many thanks.