Thunderbird Filter to Call a Macro

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Z_User

Thunderbird Filter to Call a Macro

Post by Z_User »

I would like to do the following:

Whenever I get an email with a key phrase, "Order Request".

I would like to call a macro to automatically click on a link in the email, which takes me to a page on my web browser, and then automate a response on that page, such as "we have received your order", and hit send.

As far as I can see Thunderbird only offers filters for some very basic actions such as deleting or forwarding an email with a key phrase.

How can I go about doing what I want to do?
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird Filter to Call a Macro

Post by tanstaafl »

The FiltaQuilla add-on adds a lot of powerful features to message filters. You could potentially write javascript that finds the embedded URL and launches it when the key phrase is recognized. http://mesquilla.com/extensions/filtaquilla/ has more information. However, that is beyond most users abilities. Several users have also reported the add-on is buggy and not maintained.

I guess you could try combining automation software such as AutoHotkey or AutoIt with a message filter but I'd be worried whether it could recognize the right URL if there was more than one.

I would try to solve this server side if your email provider supports Sieve scripts or some similar server side scripting. Ideally you'd use sort of agent instead. Huggin looks promising. If you're using this for processing orders it has to be reliable. See https://alternativeto.net/software/ifttt/ for some other ideas.

One reason to do it server side is if you're using a POP account its possible to run into a logjam with a POP account if it tries to download a message with too many of the essential headers missing. That can occur with spam.
Z_User

Re: Thunderbird Filter to Call a Macro

Post by Z_User »

Thanks for the info, I knew about AutoHotKey but the FiltaQuilla add-on was the key to launching my macro from within Thunderbird.
After a lot of trial and error, I got it to work!