Can't Send Attachment in Word 2016 Through TB -- Help

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
koolx

Can't Send Attachment in Word 2016 Through TB -- Help

Post by koolx »

I cant send mail as an open attachement in word 2016 through thunderbird. When I try to, Word gives an error.

So just to give you steps into the problem:
1. I open up the doc.
2. While its open, I go to File>Share>Email>Send As Attachment (in Word of course).
3. TB then loads in the background.
4. I get this message in Word: "Word couldn't send mail because of mapi failure: attachment not found"

Just to let you know, I have no problem sending this as a PDF when I choose the "Send as PDF" option in Word. How do I fix it so that I'm able to send as Word attactment from Word through TB?
Last edited by koolx on May 3rd, 2017, 5:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
tanstaafl

Re: Can't Send Attachment in Word 2016 Through TB -- Help

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/MAPI_Support

I assume send as pdf sends the file as the message body using Thunderbird, not an attachment. If that works I'd assume the SimpleMAPI registry keys are probably okay.

Can you drag and drop the file to the attachment area (upper right corner, to the right of the headers) of the Thunderbird compose message window? If you do can you send it? While you could do that as a workaround, the main reason I ask is to help troubleshoot whats wrong.
koolx

Post by koolx »

tanstaafl wrote:http://kb.mozillazine.org/MAPI_Support

I assume send as pdf sends the file as the message body using Thunderbird, not an attachment. If that works I'd assume the SimpleMAPI registry keys are probably okay.
No send as PDF means it sends as a PDF attachment.
Can you drag and drop the file to the attachment area (upper right corner, to the right of the headers) of the Thunderbird compose message window? If you do can you send it? While you could do that as a workaround, the main reason I ask is to help troubleshoot whats wrong.
Why would I drag and drop a word attachment to a compose message if theres no problem with that? My issue is that I cant send mail as an open attachement WITHIN word 2016 through thunderbird. I strongly suggest you go through the steps in recreating the issue I posted in my first post. Appreciate the help.
Last edited by koolx on May 4th, 2017, 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

I did read a recent report from a user who could connect to TB to send as attachment from Excel or Powerpoint, but not Word.
koolx

Post by koolx »

sfhowes wrote:I did read a recent report from a user who could connect to TB to send as attachment from Excel or Powerpoint, but not Word.
really? Wow... The only thing I can do is send it within Word as a PDF not a doc connecting TB. Theres got to be a solution to this. Its vitally needed.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Perhaps there's a terminology issue here. The process steps you listed above successfully adds the selected file to a message in a compose window, showing it as an attachment in the attachment panel to the right of the address entry block. That's the same result achieved by dragging a file to the right side of the address entry field or menu path Attach->File.

What do you mean by "open attachment"?
koolx

Post by koolx »

DanRaisch wrote:Perhaps there's a terminology issue here. The process steps you listed above successfully adds the selected file to a message in a compose window, showing it as an attachment in the attachment panel to the right of the address entry block. That's the same result achieved by dragging a file to the right side of the address entry field or menu path Attach->File.

What do you mean by "open attachment"?
Ok, I outlined easy steps which I dont think is too hard to follow but I'll say it a different way: Say you open a Word doc. You want to send it as an attachment from Word. You go to File>Share>Email>Send As Attachment in Word. TB then loads up. But TB cant send it as an attachment cuz Word pops up an error saying: "Word couldn't send mail because of mapi failure: attachment not found."

Of course you can drag and drop an attachment in the TB compose message. Thats not the problem. The problem is that I cant send Word doc attachments from Word from the above steps through TB. All I can send through this method are PDFs.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Didn't say it was too hard to follow and, if you go back and read my post carefully, you'll see that I found no problem at all attaching a .docx file to a message using the process you described above. So it sounds as though the issue may be one of settings in the Windows Registry rather than anything specific to Thunderbird itself.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

You might have some luck by running fixmapi.exe as mentioned above in the MAPI_Support article, if TB is set as the default email program.

https://communities.bentley.com/product ... 86/t/98085
koolx

Post by koolx »

sfhowes wrote:You might have some luck by running fixmapi.exe as mentioned above in the MAPI_Support article, if TB is set as the default email program.

https://communities.bentley.com/product ... 86/t/98085
I'll take a look.. thanks
koolx

Post by koolx »

DanRaisch wrote:Didn't say it was too hard to follow and, if you go back and read my post carefully, you'll see that I found no problem at all attaching a .docx file to a message using the process you described above. So it sounds as though the issue may be one of settings in the Windows Registry rather than anything specific to Thunderbird itself.
Hey dan I think you may be right! There have been several people who have hinted that it may be a registry issue.. Thanks man
felipe.valencaa

Post by felipe.valencaa »

I have found this page https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... 07-program
However, as I am using Word 2016 and the registry values indicated in this page are all missing in mine, it does not help me. Did you find any solution?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you try the fixmapi.exe program as described in the link above by sfhowes?
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

The current workaround for MAPI-related issues is to install the MS Visual Studio 2015 runtime library:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbi ... easenotes/

although this applies only to Windows versions older than W10. For W10, I think you need to check the MAPI box under 'Choose defaults for this program' when TB is set as the default email program:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-de ... windows-10 (same method for email)
frg

Post by frg »

The VS2015 issue should only be a problem on Windows 7 and lower:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1356902