Google sign-in required to open TB?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ekaim

Google sign-in required to open TB?

Post by ekaim »

As of a couple of days ago, when I try to open Thunderbird (52.1.0, running on Win 7), I get a pop-up asking me to log in to Google to continue to TB. (I do have a Google Apps account -- now known as G Suite -- and have configured my TB account to use Google servers.) However, the log-in form doesn't accept my log-in name (my email address), so clicking on "Next" does nothing. A message at the top of the log-in page directs users to enter their credentials at imap.gmail.com, which is inaccessible. Meanwhile, the other G Suite components are working fine; I contacted G Suite support, who confirmed that there was no problem with my standard Google log-in.

This problem might have begun a few days ago, when I was experimenting with a new Android smartphone (synced with my desktop). I began getting urgent messages: "Cannot authenticate your account. Please make sure your account is fully configured and try again." This brought me to a wizard, which moved in circles; when I completed my entries, I found myself back at the first page. I tried this many times, but never got past the loop-the-loop.

Has anyone else got this pop-up? Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA.
bbbl67

Re: Google sign-in required to open TB?

Post by bbbl67 »

I'm having this exact same problem! No solutions yet?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See if the reply from tanstaafl in this thread is helpful -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14745190
bbbl67

Post by bbbl67 »

Ah, okay, updating to 52.2.1 fixed it! It looks like these newer versions of Thunderbird are using an embedded version of Firefox for its web interface, rather than its own internal browser. Perhaps the internal browser wasn't being kept up-to-date enough with the newest technologies?