The DELE command did not succeed. Error marking message as d

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
PatD

The DELE command did not succeed. Error marking message as d

Post by PatD »

My wife recently installed Thunderbird to replace Windows Live Mail. Everything was fine until today when she could not retrieve new messages. She could send but not receive. The message she got was "The DELE command did not succeed. Error marking message as deleted. Mail server POP.MAIL.YAHOO.COM responded too many requests". I also installed Thunderbird and haven't had this issue. How can she fix this issue?
DanRaisch

Re: The DELE command did not succeed. Error marking message

Post by DanRaisch »

Right click on the name of the folder from which your wife is trying to delete the messages. From the context menu select "Properties" and then click on the "Repair folder" button.
Do the same for the "Trash" folder.
Murielle

Post by Murielle »

Since almost 10 days, I’m not able to retrieve new messages using Thunderbird for my yahoo account. I got exactly the same message than PatD’s wife: "The DELE command did not succeed. Error marking message as deleted. Mail server POP.MAIL.YAHOO.COM responded too many requests".
I right clicked on the “Inbox” folder (as I thing it is the folder from which I should delete the messages), selected "Properties" and then clicked on the "Repair folder" button. I received another message “The operation failed because another operation is using the folder. Please wait for that operation to finish and then try again”...
However, I successfully repaired the "Trash" folder. Since yesterday, I closed Thunderbird, restarted my computer and tried again. Until now, I got the same message when trying to repair the «Inbox» folder.

How can I fix this issue? Anyone could help me?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to the \Mail sub-folder of your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart Thunderbird and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.
Murielle

Post by Murielle »

Thank you DanRaisch.
I backup my profile using MozBackup-1.5.2-beta1, but I don't know how to confirm that I have made it.
I follow all the steps below. I don't know if my Inbox folder is now compact. I always got the "The DELE command did not succeed. Error marking message as deleted. Mail server POP.MAIL.YAHOO.COM responded too many requests" message while trying to retrieve my messages.
I don't know what to do now.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you reviewed this page and tried any suggested changes to settings etc? https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN3792.html