How do I reset my address book to link with a new email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
keith_hodgson

How do I reset my address book to link with a new email

Post by keith_hodgson »

Following an update today new emails do not auto fill the address bar, the letters are in red as though the email address is not there. After typing a few letters the email address options used to show up. Could someone please advise me how to fix this issue? all the addresses are in the address book as before.
Many thanks
tanstaafl

Re: How do I reset my address book to link with a new email

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Enter_email_addresses

Did you check whether auto-complete is still enabled in Tools -> Options -> Composition -> Addressing ?

"The compose message window has a optional Contacts Sidebar. You can enable it by either pressing F9 or selecting View -> Contacts Sidebar. The setting is sticky. The Contacts Sidebar lists the names of each contact (in the selected address book). You can select one or more and either press the "Add to To:", "Add to Cc:" or "Add to Bcc:" button, or drag and drop them to the desired header line. You can enter a name in its "Search for" field and it will hide any entries that don't match what you're typing (sort of similar to auto complete). The list box normally displays just the contacts name but if you click on the column control (its a squiggly little square on the right) for that sidebar you can also select a "Email" column. "
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you have the extension MoreFunctionsforAddressBook installed? If so, try disabling or uninstalling that.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If disabling it (as Dan suggested) works around the problem then next try updating the add-on. I think he might have fixed the bug in that add-on in version 1.0b2. The change log at https://freeshell.de/~kaosmos/morecols-en.html seems to say its been fixed.
keith_hodgson

Post by keith_hodgson »

Sorry guys I am a dummy at pc software problems. the update is 45.8.0 checking through the above suggestions under addressing all the options are selected. server directory is "none" & the LDAP directory list is empty. I dont think MoreFunctions for address book is installed. I have not tried the last suggestion.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Use menu path Tools->Addons->Extensions to view the list of extensions and see if that particular one is installed.
keith_hodgson

Post by keith_hodgson »

MoreFunctionsforAddressBook is not installed, Lighting was the last update so have disabled that but still no address show, only the letters keyed in in red.
keith_hodgson

Post by keith_hodgson »

I still have not made any progress with this issue, how do I find the address book file so that i can export it to a memory stick. Many thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"I still have not made any progress with this issue, how do I find the address book file so that i can export it to a memory stick"

In the address book window select the address book and then tools -> export. I assume you're thinking of editing the file and then re-importing it. I suggest you use the default setting, for .csv files, as that is the easiest format to edit

The Contacts Sidebar that I mentioned is actually fairly useful, and has a equivalent of auto-complete. I suggest you try it if that doesn't help.
keith_hodgson

Post by keith_hodgson »

Hi thank you all for your help, this is the fix from SoftMaker & it worked.

First of all, please make sure that you're already using the latest version 52.1.0 instead of the slightly outdated versions 52.0 or 52.0.1 which still contained a number of bugs. To do so, please launch Thunderbird, invoke Help > About Thunderbird and click on Check for Updates.

In a second step, you should refresh the SoftMaker add-ons. Please open the add-ons manager (Tools > Add-ons), click on the gear-wheel icon in the top right of the window and choose Check for updates from the dropdown list.
:D
keith_hodgson

Post by keith_hodgson »

It seems that the update does not refresh the add-ons!!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Check to see if your profile is set to update extensions automatically. Tools->Add-ons->click on the "Gear" icon and then on "Update Addons Automatically", if that is what you want to happen.