Deleted emails not returning to inbox

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TikiLime22

Deleted emails not returning to inbox

Post by TikiLime22 »

I have 2 deleted emails that I tried to send back to my inbox. I click on "return to inbox"on one and the other one I scrolled down"to move" and clicked on " back to inbox". Neither one is showing up in my inbox and not in the trash either. I use windows 7 and thunderbird. Where did they go and how do I get them back?
DanRaisch

Re: Deleted emails not returning to inbox

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue. That information is needed to understand what factors could be involved in the issue.
TikiLime22

Post by TikiLime22 »

My account is POP
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, a couple of procedures that may help to resolve this:

1) Right click on the name of the Trash folder in the left hand pane of the main Thunderbird window. Select "Properties" from the context menu then click on the "Repair folder" button that will be on the displayed dialogue. That will cause the folder index to be rebuilt.

2) If the problem reoccurs after that procedure, try the following:
First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Trash folder to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to your Profile folder. Delete both the file Trash.msf and the file Trash with no extension.

Restart Thunderbird and delete a message from any folder in the account, which should cause Thunderbird to create a new Trash folder. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Trash folder from the sub-folder created above to the Trash folder, then compact the Trash folder.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

DanRaisch wrote:1) Right click on the name of the Trash folder in the left hand pane of the main Thunderbird window. Select "Properties" from the context menu then click on the "Repair folder" button that will be on the displayed dialogue. That will cause the folder index to be rebuilt.
Wouldn't hurt to try this on your Inbox as well. Maybe the messages are getting put in there but just not showing.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
TikiLime22

Post by TikiLime22 »

I did both and the "send to inbox" emails did not show up. I'll work on the back up later. It is just odd that the emails went somewhere else. Thanks to both for your help
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Doug's point is that they may not have gone anywhere else. They may have been put back into the Inbox but are not being displayed.
TikiLime22

Post by TikiLime22 »

IF they are back in my inbox, how do I get them to display?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

DanRaisch wrote:1) Right click on the name of the Trash folder in the left hand pane of the main Thunderbird window. Select "Properties" from the context menu then click on the "Repair folder" button that will be on the displayed dialogue. That will cause the folder index to be rebuilt.