Unable to configure Comcast (IMAP)-invalid username/password

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ThunderbirdMe

Unable to configure Comcast (IMAP)-invalid username/password

Post by ThunderbirdMe »

Similar to the poster from 5/16/17 about issues setting up a Gmail account, I'm getting the same error when setting up a Comcast account.

I verified that the username (email address) and password are 100% correct. I can log into my comcast email account using a browser or a phone just fine but not through TB.

I'm currently on TB ver 52.1.1 (32-bit) on a Win 7 machine.

I'd post a screenshot but I don't have permission to do so yet. It looks similar to the image in the “Unable to configure Gmail (IMAP)- invalid username/password “ post from 5/16/17 except for the email address and the outgoing server is set to Port 587 and STARTTLS and the Authentication for both incoming and outgoing are set to Autodetect per the Comcast help site:

Thanks in advance!
tanstaafl

Re: Unable to configure Comcast (IMAP)-invalid username/pass

Post by tanstaafl »

Its been a long time since I added my Comcast IMAP account but I thought the exact configuration was available in the Mozilla ISP database.

Don't use auto-detect, that feature doesn't work well. Set authentication to "normal password" for both servers. You should not get a popup window like you do with Gmail using OAuth2.
ThunderbirdMe

Post by ThunderbirdMe »

tanstaafl wrote:Its been a long time since I added my Comcast IMAP account but I thought the exact configuration was available in the Mozilla ISP database.

Don't use auto-detect, that feature doesn't work well. Set authentication to "normal password" for both servers. You should not get a popup window like you do with Gmail using OAuth2.
Ok so I just re-tried it using the default TB settings for comcast.net...

Incoming: IMAP...993...SSL/TLS...Normal password
Outgoing: SMTP...465...SSL/TLS...Normal password

Same error occurred: Configuration could not be verified ---- is the username or password wrong?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Those are the same settings I'm using. The username should be the full email address, not the username portion of it. The Comcast server drops connections a couple of times a day the last couple of months though its still useful. Your error doesn't sound at all like the gmail one.

Is this your only account? If not, who are your other email providers?
What are you using for a anti-virus scanner?
ThunderbirdMe

Post by ThunderbirdMe »

Great questions. I'm using the full email address.

But somehow...maybe related to what you said about Comcast dropping connnections....NOW it is working! Very strange. Either way, THANK YOU for answering so quickly--really appreciate it.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You're welcome.

The Comcast DNS server (whats used to translate a name to an ip address) frequently fails due to being overloaded. I'm configured to try the Comcast DNS server first, but to automatically use the public one from Google if that fails. That has worked around many problems. See https://www.howtogeek.com/122845/htg-ex ... at-is-dns/ if you want to do something like that.