Can't search Body field

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
quickquestion

Can't search Body field

Post by quickquestion »

I recently updated to version 52.1.1 and this morning noticed that I can't search on the "body" field. Anyone know how to fix this or is it a bug in the latest version?
DanRaisch

Re: Can't search Body field

Post by DanRaisch »

How are you initiating that search (what menu path or hot key combo) and how is that account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP?
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

Ctrl + Shift + F

For one account, it lists as the server name as: imap.googlemail.com
But the other account lists only: mail.mydomain.com

I noticed that when I select the other account, it gives me a selection for 'Body'. If I select that, then switch to the gmail account, Body is grayed out, but it still seems to do the search.
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

Did the latest version of T'bird break this functionality on purpose?

Is there a way to get it back?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Running 32.1.1 (32 bit) here and Body is there for me, not greyed out, for both POP and IMAP accounts.

Have you tested this in Mozilla Safe Mode? This is a troubleshooting mode which will run with default theme and with all extensions and a few other things disabled. If the problem clears up under Safe Mode, you'll know there is a good chance the problem is with a theme or extension.

Now you can investigate which one is the problem by disabling one or more at a time and restarting the program. When the problem clears up, you'll know it is caused by one of the disabled ones, and you can refine further.

Info on Safe Mode:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

I restarted in Safe Mode and the behavior did not change, i.e., the gmail accounts don't offer a Body field to search on; the (mydomain) accounts do offer a Body field.
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

Is there anything next on the list of things I can test/try after the trial of restarting in Safe Mode?
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

I'd really like to be able to search for emails using the body field. Can someone help me find a fix, or is there a better place to post for help? Is this a bug that needs to be reported to Mozilla?