Syncronising emails between smart phone and Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
stephenco

Syncronising emails between smart phone and Thunderbird

Post by stephenco »

I often use my Blackberry smart phone to send and receive emails but it's really annoying to look on Thunderbird on my PC and not be able to find an email I've sent from my phone and vice versa.

Is it possible to have these syncronised on Thunderbird? I'm assuming I will have to ask for support about my smart phone settings on the relevant forum.
makaiguy

Re: Syncronising emails between smart phone and Thunderbird

Post by makaiguy »

You should be able to set your phone to automatically bcc you with all the messages you send via the phone.

An appropriate filter on your incoming messages in TBird can capture these incoming bcc copies (i.e. messages both FROM and TO you) and place them in whatever folder you want them in.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
stephenco

Post by stephenco »

That would certainly be a good work around, but does Thunderbird not have the capability to fetch messages from the email server and display them on the application?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

stephenco wrote:... does Thunderbird not have the capability to fetch messages from the email server and display them on the application?
Yes, IF the Sent messages are stored on the mail server, not just on the phone, and IF this is set up in TBird as an IMAP account rather than a POP3 account.

POP3 protocol can only retrieve messages from the Inbox folder on the server -- POP3 knows nothing about accessing any other folder.

If this IS set up as IMAP, be sure your TBird setup is synchronized to the folder on the server containing your Sent messages.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Most email clients on smartphones use IMAP. Many don't even support POP because its designed to store messages locally. I suggest you add a IMAP account (for the same email address and password) in Thunderbird. It can co-exist with your POP account. Move messages from the POP accounts folders to the IMAP account so that the phone can also access them, empty the trash, compact the folders and then delete the POP account.