Copy does not work in Write message in Thunderbird 52.1.1

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
r.stone

Copy does not work in Write message in Thunderbird 52.1.1

Post by r.stone »

I just upgraded to Thunderbird 52.1.1. (32 bit). In the Write (message) window, when I select text and then either do an Edit...Copy... or a Ctrl+C, go to a Word document (for example) and do a paste operation, nothing happens. Copy and paste are working in Word. Apparently, the Copy operation isn't working in Thunderbird. This exact same sequence worked fine in all previous versions of Thunderbird. I am going to have to use the restore point I set in Windows 7 SP1 and go back to the previous version of Thunderbird to get this working. Note: I have experienced this bug repeatedly since installing 52.1.1. On one occasion, I was able to exit and re-start Thunderbird and get the Copy operation to work. However, I have tried that several times subsequently, and it doesn't solve the problem. Since I use this operation every time I send an e-mail, this is a critical bug for me.
DanRaisch

Re: Copy does not work in Write message in Thunderbird 52.1.

Post by DanRaisch »

...this is a critical bug for me.
It would be for me to, except I'm not seeing that happening. Moving to Thunderbird Support.

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
r.stone

Post by r.stone »

I posted the above a day or so ago. On further testing, I discovered that the copy operation does work when I copy and paste into Notepad and Wordpad. It does not work when I copy and paste into Word (I'm using Word in Office 2000), and this is repeatable. The operation did work in Word 2000 in all previous versions of Thunderbird. Copy and paste works on pasting things into Word from all other applications I have tried. Apparently, something changed in this latest release of Thunderbird that disabled the ability to copy and paste from Thunderbird's Write window into Word 2000. Again, it is a critical bug for me. I'll try Mozilla Safe Mode in a few minutes.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There has been no impact on pasting into Word 2010 here.
r.stone

Post by r.stone »

Launching Thunderbird in Mozilla Safe Mode does not alter the behavior. However, in the process of trying that, I did discover what apparently causes the copy/past operation from the Write window to Word 2000 to work or not work. If the material being copied contains an image (specifically, the replies I have been sending have very often contained .jpg images as part of a signature block), then the copy/paste operation does not work. If there is no image present, then the copy/paste operation into Word 2000 does work. This behavior is different in 52.1.1 than in previous versions: copying and pasting replies containing the same image into Word 2000 did work with the earlier versions of Thunderbird. That also explains why the copy/paste operation worked with Notepad: Notepad discards the image.
r.stone

Post by r.stone »

WILL THE THUNDERBIRD BUG FORUM MODERATOR PLEASE READ: I tried to post the item below in the bug forum. While it is similar to my post of a couple of days below, it is NOT a duplicate! Please do not block it. This isn't a support issue: it is a bug. Previous versions of Thunderbird allowed images in the Write window to be copied and pasted into other applications (e.g., Word). 52.1.1 does not permit this when an image (e.g., a .jpg) is present in the material being copied. When I previously posted, I had not isolated the cause of the problem. I will repeat my latest post (to the bug forum, not the support forum) below, summarizing the bug:

I just upgraded to Thunderbird 52.1.1 (32 bit). When I reply to a message, the reply appears in the Write window. I add my reply text, and then copy the contents of the Write window by selecting all (Ctrl+A) and copying (either Edit...Copy or Ctrl+C). If the reply contains an image (e.g., a .jpg in a signature block), when I go to paste what I have copied into a Word document, the paste does not work. If there is no image present, the Copy/Paste operation does work. Pasting into Notepad or Wordpad does work, because the image is thrown away. Restarting Thunderbird in Mozilla Safe Mode does not alter the behavior. This behavior is different that previous versions of Thunderbird: copying and pasting material from the Write window containing images would work when pasting into Word with previous versions. I'm running Windows 7 SP1 64 bit, and using Word 2000. Since it has unfortunately become common for people to include image files in their e-mails (in signature blocks, or as logos), and their presence prevents me from copying and pasting those e-mails into a Word document, this is a serious bug.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

You need to file a bug at Bugzilla

The Thunderbird Bugs forum is not for reporting them to developers for fixing.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See if this text from the Release Notes for Thunderbird relate to your problem --
IMPORTANT: The way images are included in a compose window has changed. Images are now included as data URIs and not as references to parts of other messages or operating system files. This allows better interoperability with office packages such as MS Office or LibreOffice. Images linked from locations on the internet will no longer be downloaded and attached to the message automatically. This can be changed for each image individually via the Image Properties dialog or globally by setting the preference mail.compose.attach_http_images.