0Auth

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Luap

0Auth

Post by Luap »

Rogers (Canada) is now forcing all of their email users to to change over to 0Auth. I have no experience with it and the provider Rogers does not support Thunderbird and will not help me change over. I have supplied their change over launch page.
http://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/email/442
Is there a web page I can get to to explain what and how to do this changeover for an account and sub account ? I have been using Thunderbird for decades and do not wish to change.

My Thunderbird 52.1.1 as it is now.
Description: Yahoo! Mail
Server Name: smtp.mail.yahoo.con (will need to change to smtp.broadband.rogers.com)
Port 465
Connection security: SSL/TLS
Authentication method: Normal password (will need to change to 0Auth2 and need to find where the password will go)

Any help would be very much appreciated.
mgagnonlv

Re: 0Auth

Post by mgagnonlv »

Hello,

Is your account POP or IMAP? I am assuming it is IMAP because all Rogers instructions point to an IMAP connection.

Note that I don't have a Rogers account, therefore I can't actually try the whole process. I also have my Thunderbird in French, so my menu names may not be perfect.

Reference page where I took the account information: http://www.rogers.com/web/support/inter ... -email/214

***Procedure to do for each Rogers account you have (ex.: me@rogers.com; metoo@rogers.com, etc.)

I don't think you need to create an application-specific password because Thunderbird allows OAuth2 connections.
  • In Thunderbird, press ALT to see full menus, then select Tools –> Account Parameters.
  • Select your account and change the following parameters:
  • Section called "me@rogers.com": change nothing. However, check at the bottom of that window for the name of that outgoing server. You'll need that later.
  • Section "Server parameters", change the following
    • server name: imap.mail.yahoo.com (instead of something like imap.broadband.rogers.com)
    • user name : your full user name, i.e. including @rogers.com
    • connection security: ssl/tls
    • authentication method: OAuth2 (that's the last option in that menu)
  • At the bottom of the "Account parameters" window (left panel), look for "Outgoing server (SMTP), and do something similar:
  • Click on "Outgoing Server (SMTP), and click on the appropriate server in the list in the right panel (that's the name you copied in the previous step – if you only have one email account, the list is short). Click on Modify.
  • Change the following parameters:
    • Server name: smtp.mail.yahoo.com (com, not con)
    • Connection security: SSL/TLS
    • Authentication method: OAuth2
    • User name: full name i.e. (name@rogers.com)
Click OK, close Thunderbird and reopen and you should be set.

The first time TB will try to connect, it will ask you to enter the password. The OAuth2 password window is actually a browser window that will ask you for the account name and password (it's a 2-step process for Google). From that point onwards, TB will synchronize correctly.

Try to email a short message (I say short because you will likely lose it). A similar authentication process will occur.

Good luck!
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Make certain that cookies are enabled for rogers.com in your systems default browser as the OAuth2 credentials popup window will probably require that.

I suggest you create a new account rather than convert the existing account. That avoids side effects such as it automatically changing the local directory (where your mail folders are stored) due to changing the mail server. Once you've verified the new account works okay you can move messages from the old account to the new account, empty the trash and then delete the old account.
Luap

Post by Luap »

Sorry mgagnonlv I should have included that this is a POP account. The Rogers instructions suggest that nothing is changed for the server - in my case that's pop.broadband.rogers.com. My outgoing server however is smtp.mail.yahoo.com now and is being changed to smtp.broadband.rogers.com (kinda back to what it use to be a few years ago before Rogers wnt to Yahoo). Let me know if there are any differences in the procedure. Thanks for helping.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

One thing to check is whether you can still uses POP with the new account data (I'm not sure that POP is available at Yahoo).

If POP is available, the procedure will be as described above, except for one thing:
the incoming mail server is likely to be imap.mail.yahoo.com instead of pop.mail.yahoo.com.

I looked online in Rogers Help centre, and all pages that talk about a POP account seem to be older, as they refer to "broadband.rogers.com" addresses (ex here: http://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/pop/207). So you'll have to ask them if POP will still be available and what would be the pop server to use. Once you get that information, you should be in business.

If POP is NOT available, then you'll have to switch to IMAP.. It's actually a fairly simple process to do, is a bit safer (you have a copy of your messages on the server), and it allows you to see your mail – and your replies – on all platforms: your computer, your phone and the web interface too.

To switch to IMAP, you essentially need to create a new account, as explained here:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/sw ... ap-account
  • In Thunderbird, press ALT to see full menus, then select Tools –> Account Settings.
  • Create a new account and use the new account parameters (see my first message above).
  • Now select your account and change one parameter so that messages aren't downloaded via POP anymore:
    – Select Server settings and uncheck both Check for new messages at startup and Check for new messages every XX minutes.
  • Make sure everything works with the new way of using the account.
    You could leave things that way for ever and ever. However, once you are sure IMAP works properly, you could decide to transfer all your messages from the POP account folders to the IMAP account folders (see the Mozilla page I referred to earlier).
    Tip. Depending on the amount of mail (and attachments) you have and your connection speed, the process may take a while. I suggest you start it one evening and let Thunderbird run overnight.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Luap

Post by Luap »

The volume of email I receive prevents me from going through the process of creating a new email address. I should be able to get through the 0Auth. Today I will attempt that. I have checked with other Rogers email users and I appear so far to be the only one that they are soliciting. I am suspicious. I am very curious with the web page 3 of the process where they ask to enter "Name your password" which is not very English ? Their telephone help thinks it's for a password however they don't know very much and were of zero help. The info on page 1 (http://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/email/442) they say "In the Name your password field, label your App Password with the name of the mail client it’s for, then select Generate" which suggests to me that they are screening to block. The info on that page is "Generate passwords to connect to your apps on your computer or mobile devices
First, name your password. Then hit generate to obtain the password that connects to your app."
What do you make of this ? Isn't 0Auth transparent to all clients ?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

OAuth is not transparent to all clients. It is a different authentication method that seems to require knowing some details about how the email provider decided to implement OAuth2 which prevents Thunderbird from reusing the existing OAuth2 support added for Gmail "as is" with any email provider. See https://aaronparecki.com/oauth-2-simplified/

The Update Yahoo settings appear to state that you should use a app password if your email client doesn't support OAuth. The bug report that wsmwk linked to says that Thunderbird doesn't support OAuth for Yahoo yet, so you'd need to go the app. password route if you are using Yahoo mail with Rogers and are forced to update the settings. I'm not familiar with Rogers, but I wouldn't have concluded that they are using the name your password field to block Thunderbird. I'd assume they are asking for a name because many of their customers may have multiple clients. For example, you might use Outlook on a laptop and use some other email client on a smartphone.

I found a 15 page long You must update your Rogers email account settings thread at Rogers forums. I'd assume its a real requirement, that they might be rolling out in a disorganized manner. Supposedly its only required for certain email clients, but Thunderbird is not on the list.

I suggest you either generate and use a app. password per their instructions, or call their help desk and ask when the deadline is for updating your account.
Luap

Post by Luap »

I entered "Thunderbird" to the "Name your password" and had no problem I received an app password but when I sent an email I get "Sending of the message failed. The Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.broadband.rogers.com does not support the selected authentication method. Please change the 'Authentication method' in 'Account Settings | Outgoing Server (SMTP)'."

I got the same message using smtp.mail.yahoo.rogers.com. So I never get to enter my generated app password.

I reverted back to .. Normal password and smtp.mail.yahoo.rogers.com .. and it still works but I guess not for long.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The password is stored separately for the SMTP server and the POP/IMAP server. You need to delete the old password using tools -> options -> security -> passwords -> saved passwords and restart Thunderbird (since the deleted password is still in memory) when changing to the app. password.
Luap

Post by Luap »

There are/were no saved passwords. For security I have always entered a password to log in and a password to send mail. So the only passwords are down on the server.
Luap

Post by Luap »

Well, if anyone know a diag or method to see what interface those 2 interfaces I mentioned and what the error really is it would be appreciated. It could be that Rogers hasn't turned on the 0Auth interface although I doubt it.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Session_logging_for_mail/news if you want to enable SMTP logging.

"It could be that Rogers hasn't turned on the 0Auth interface although I doubt it."
You should be using "normal password", not "OAuth2" for authentication as even if Roger has enabled OAuth2, Thunderbird doesn't know how to use it yet. Whether or not you use your password or a app generated password is a separate issue.
inknowthis

Post by inknowthis »

My Thunderbird is working with Rogers. I am on IMAP now, having switched from POP a few months ago because it appeared it just would not work anymore... I did not want to "fight the switch" any longer. No problems with the move to IMAP. Now the new system just enforced July 17, 2017 completely locks you out. You must go to "https://rogersmembercentre.com/rmcapp/remc.html#/signin" and sign in separately to each account you have that is an @rogers.com account because one of them will be the primary account and you will see the other accounts there as well, but don't be tempted to try to access each one under the primary - do each separately. Log in and go to "Account Information" at top right and click - now fourth down is "Authorized Applications", select that and enter a name... I used thunderbird because that is the app that is accessing the system, but I don't think it matters so long as you keep it straight. The system generates a password that you copy and keep for entry in Thunderbird as your password. Used thunderbird for a second user on my system as well, no problem doing that; also, no problem using the same password for each user on two separate windows machines with different versions of Thunderbird installed, but in the same house of course. Now you simply change your Thunderbird password(s) to the ones you have generated and it works, BUT - it may not work right away - I thought it hadn't worked until I checked the next morning and... voila! All was good. Rogers appears to take time to update those passwords that you generate, so the system does not recognize your login attempt for a while. I do want to say that the actual IMAP settings for Rogers can be found here "https://www.rogers.com/web/content/emaildownload" - a quick read there won't hurt, and then you need to select "other" in the program selection at the bottom to see the proper settings for both POP and IMAP. I point this out because earlier in this thread there was some misinformation regarding the proper settings. Lastly, I really encourage the move to IMAP - sooner or later you will be out of luck with POP.
Luap

Post by Luap »

Well I switched back and forth with the 2 servers and settings because of login problems but have been using my old server (pop) and settings without problem since then for some time now. So I don't know exactly what Rogers is up to. Thanks inknowthis ! Should the crunch come in the future your experience will be of great help.