Message Filters, strange and failing behaviour

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DaveLevy

Message Filters, strange and failing behaviour

Post by DaveLevy »

I have 31 Filters on a mail box with 9168 messages. A number of them are designed to delete mails from the mail box.

I am using 52.1.1 (32-bit).

Some of the triggers fail to work.

Many of these I have written in pairs, one flagging mails via a tag for deletion and one to execute the deletion.
  • If sender = $boring then tag = x_for_delete
    if tag = x_for_delete and age > 7 days then ( delete message; delete message from server)
I can't work out how to do this as a single instruction

I have not worked out which do not work and which do, but I suspect that the lower they are, the less likely they are too work.

Any ideas on how to fix.
DanRaisch

Re: Message Filters, strange and failing behaviour

Post by DanRaisch »

If sender = $boring then tag = x_for_delete
if tag = x_for_delete and age > 7 days then ( delete message; delete message from server)
Since we don't know exactly what your intended process is I may be asking a silly question but why are you setting a tag rather than just deleting the messages from "sboring" that are 7 days old or older?
You have to trigger that type of filter manually because filters will only run automatically on messages coming into the Inbox folder as new messages. Any filters that work based on message aging must be run manually.

What you have above could be done in one filter definition by selecting "Match all of the following" and entering:

If sender = $boring +
Age > 7 days

Perform these actions
Delete message +
Delete message from server
DaveLevy

Post by DaveLevy »

Thanks for the reply Dan.

I do it this way because I have very many members of the $boring class. This technique allows me to perform this work with two filters, one to set the tag when it arrives and one to delete them, seven days later. (The problem being that it does not work).

(I need a filter that sets a tag for a set of new mails, and deletes those over an age limit. So I have one action on arrival, and one to be done days later. To write as one filter I think it needs an AND and an OR which the filters can't cope with.)

I have just tested what you say about these triggers require to be manually run, despite having the Run "When Getting new mail" button set. When I run it manually it works.

Do you have a workround for this, apart from one filter per sender?

Dave
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can have two filters, one with multiple senders identified, to tag those messages; and another to delete those tagged messages.

The first could run automatically as new messages arrive. It would be set to "Match any of the following" so that every one of the Sboring class "From" addresses listed in it would cause the filter to tag a message.

A second filter, manually triggered on a periodic basis, would perform the deletion and would only have to test for the defined tag.

Also, have you tried the Junk Mail Controls rather than separate filters?
DaveLevy

Post by DaveLevy »

Thanks

WRT to the two triggers, that's what I have done, just didn't know that they had to be run manually. I might consolidate the manual filters into one.

I have not looked at Junk Controls for this problem as I do not want to pollute the learning capability of the junk filters. However, that's next but one. :)

Thank you for your help.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.