How can I automatically forward all labeled emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
BAK

How can I automatically forward all labeled emails

Post by BAK »

For my work I have to forward all incoming invoices to a specifc mail server. I was wondering if its possible to automate this since I already label all emails. Hopefully someone can help me with this.
tanstaafl

Re: How can I automatically forward all labeled emails

Post by tanstaafl »

What do you mean by a label, and what did you use to set it? Thunderbird replaced the built-in label support with support for tags years ago. Both are something that normally can't be set using webmail, unless you are setting IMAP flags/keywords. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Tags

If you set the label using Thunderbird, use a message filter that tests the value of a tag to forward the messages. Ideally you'd use the same message filter to both assign a label and forward the message so that it could be run automatically on new mail. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Message_Filters
BAK

Post by BAK »

tanstaafl wrote:What do you mean by a label, and what did you use to set it? Thunderbird replaced the built-in label support with support for tags years ago. Both are something that normally can't be set using webmail, unless you are setting IMAP flags/keywords. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Tags
Thanks for the quick reply tanstaafl, I meant tags instead of labels. So I tag all the messages i want to forward by pressing '3' and they turn blue. But now I want to automatically forward all these messages to someone.I don't see an option like this at Alternatives/Enhancements. Isn't it possible to create a specific action (forward to a@b.com) on/with a tag?
tsor

Post by tsor »

Upfront I'm not aware of an automated extension, but it does not mean there is one in the add-on section or will be one in the future.

If you don't care about the 'forward' and would settle for a redirect/resent the https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... serprofile may work for you, but its not automated. Please look there in the review section --> Can't make a filter that redirects and the developers response.

How could it work with that extension? You would need to select all [Ctrl a] from the display [your tabs], press the redirect bar in the mail tool bar [you may need to activate the mail tool bar, if hidden] , then select an address from the already displayed addresses [your address book] and press the resent button.

In regard of the address book if you use in the Display field a * in front of a name it will move up the address to the first lines.

Please note: Redirecting mail can get you banned, but if you do it in the same domain eg. @yahoo dot com it is tolerated.

I understand this is not the solution you look for, but I hope it gives you an idea how to proceed further.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

BAK wrote:Isn't it possible to create a specific action (forward to a@b.com) on/with a tag?
Yes. Create a message filter that tests [Tags] [contains] [the_tag_you_want_to_test_against] with Action "Forward Message To". If you are manually assigning the tag you will need to manually run the filter using Tools -> Run Filters on Folder after you assigned all of the tags. If you have other messages filters that you don't want to also run at the same time when you do that edit them to uncheck support for manually running them.

I suggest you investigate whether it would be safe to eliminate you manually tagging the messages and have a automatically run message filter both test whether a message contains a invoice, and forward it if it does. You might be able to do that by using multiple rules in the filter, testing the From address, whether the Subject contains a certain keyword and whether there is an attachment of a certain type. You can configure the message filter so that only if the message meet all of the criteria you specified will it forward the message.