Moving Profile from TB Installation with Profile in 2 Spots

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Jason Potter

Moving Profile from TB Installation with Profile in 2 Spots

Post by Jason Potter »

I have the 52.1.1 32-bit version of Thunderbird on an Acer laptop running Windows 10. I reinstalled the OS on this laptop when I replaced a failing harddrive with a 1TB SSD and then transferred the profile from the old laptop hard drive to the new SSD main drive back in January 2017. I followed the procedure for moving a TB profile to a 'new location' and it worked after I created a new profile and then copied everything that was in the old profile's storage folder to that new profile. Or so I thought. However, I am now trying to do the same thing with a new tablet computer I plan to use for business trips. Unfortunately, when I copy everything in the TB profile folder that is identified by going to Help and then Troubleshooting Information and then clicking on "Open Folder" in the Profile Folder section of the Troubleshooting Info page, the new installation of TB does not see the profile.

I have a possible answer: when investigating where the profiles are on my Acer laptop, I discovered that when I installed the new SSD's installation and profile of TB, the new profile (with the same name) actually has folders and files in two locations, and it is clear that the both are in use when TB runs on the Acer laptop, since the date/time stamp for the folders and some of the files in each of the two profile folders update to the present whenever I open and then close the program.

I am concluding that part of the profile is actually stored in two places. I wonder how to transfer the profile to the new machine given this situation. Here are the two locations, and I am listing in full all the files contained in the smaller folder (the one that is not reported as containing the Profile under Troubleshooting Information when clicking on "Open Folder"):

MOST files are in c:\USER\AppData\Roaming\*******.NewProfile

But the following folders and files are in C:\USER\AppData\Local\********.NewProfile
Cache (folder)
cache2 (folder)
safebrowsing (folder)
startupCache (folder)
_CACHE_CLEAN_ (file)
ShutdownDuration.json (file)
ShutdownDuration.tmp (file)

My suspicion is that if I copy both all the files that are in the AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\*******.NewProfile folder on the Acer laptop (the one with the vast majority of the files associated with that installation of TB) AND all the files and folders in the one located in the AppData\Local\Thunderbird\Profiles\*******.NewProfile folder on the Acer laptop. Does this seem plausible? If not, is there a way to export the folders and emails in folders to the new installation of TB that will accomplish what profile-copying would? I really need the tablet to have everything that is on the Acer laptop iteration of TB.

Thanks in advance for any help on this conundrum.
Jason Potter
DanRaisch

Re: Moving Profile from TB Installation with Profile in 2 Sp

Post by DanRaisch »

See if the discussion in this thread is helpful -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3030568