Old problems with "Fetch Headers Only"

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
grumbledook2

Old problems with "Fetch Headers Only"

Post by grumbledook2 »

Until 2016, I was using Pegasus Mail. Then, I migrated to Thunderbird 45 because it has many of the same characteristics, including the “Fetch headers only” option.

It turned out that this option has problems in TB. At first, I thought: maybe very few people use it. But I discovered that many people who had upgraded to version 52 were reporting a major new bug with the feature. (Not among the problems I had been experiencing, but at least it told me that I’m not alone in using it.)

Then, version 52.1.1 included a fix for the bug that had been introduced in v52, so I installed v52.1.1 on another machine to see if my original problems had been fixed somewhere between v45 and v52. They have not.

1. The “Fetch headers only” option is supposed to do just what it says, which implies fetching absolutely no part of the message other than headers. But TB always fetches “a few lines”. (This is the most egregious among the problems I found.)

2. Often, the message is comprised of only a few lines, but it adds the warning box anyway, stating that “ the first few lines were downloaded” when, in fact, the whole message was downloaded.

3. The warning in question starts with “Truncated!” and then goes on to say that it was truncated because the size of the message exceeds the limit configured for the account. Ok, maybe that’s an option too, but I haven’t configured a size limit. So the warning is assuredly a result of the “Fetch headers only” option, not a result of an exceeded limit. If a single warning must be used for both situations, then it should be more generic, or else mention both possibilities.

4. If you transfer or reply to such a message, the warning box stays in! (You can delete it, but it’s easy to overlook, and then you look stupid.)

Are these the kinds of things that should be submitted as bug reports? If so, should it be one report or 4 ?