installing add-ons from file, 52.1.1- SOLVED

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
terrathunderbird

installing add-ons from file, 52.1.1- SOLVED

Post by terrathunderbird »

Hi there... I'm in 52.1.1 and I can't figure out how to install an add-on from a file. Any ideas? Supposedly, there's supposed to be a button saying "install from file" on the add-on page. But no button is there for me...
Last edited by terrathunderbird on May 29th, 2017, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Re: installing add-ons from file, 52.1.1

Post by tanstaafl »

Look for a gear like icon in the upper right corner of tools -> add-ons -> extensions. Its just to the left of the grey "Search all add-ons" text in the search field. Click on the gear like icon and a list box should appear. The third entry in the list box should be "Install add-on from file".

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders has step by step instructions on how to install an add-on (in that case its the ImportExportTools add-on), including a screen capture of what the gear like icon looks like.
terrathunderbird

Thanks! But there is no "gear". I'm familiar with what a gear looks like, and I just don't see it. I even clicked around the search box in case it was invisible for me, for some reason.

Do you know if I have to have special security/cookie settings to be able to see the gear? the add-on page appears within the T-bird app, so it doesn't seem like my browser settings would apply. But who knows.

I don't remember how to insert a screen shot in this forum. I can certainly do it, if you give me instructions...

Thanks for your assistance...

T
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

You don't need to do anything to display the gear. You could try searching for an add-on with tools -> add-ons -> extensions using the search field. The problem is that it is buggy, many add-ons can't be found that way. However, if it does find an add-on you can just press the Install button for the desired add-on and it will install it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Using menu path Tools->Addons->Extensions. If you don't have a Tools menu visible, press Alt+T to display that
terrathunderbird

Thanks! I figured this out myself, but am coming back to post my results. The "gear" is on the EXTENSIONS page, not on the Add-On page that comes up with the Add-on choice in the tools menu.

Either way, thanks!

I now can install add-ons from file.
DanRaisch

Re: installing add-ons from file, 52.1.1- SOLVED

Post by DanRaisch »

The "gear" is on the EXTENSIONS page, not on the Add-On page that
Yup, that's what tanstaafl said in his first post.
terrathunderbird

Re: installing add-ons from file, 52.1.1- SOLVED

Oops! Thanks, Dan...sorry I was confused!