Identity Name not appearing when sending email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dwsthunder

Identity Name not appearing when sending email

Post by dwsthunder »

Hi

I have entered a name under "Public Data" "Your Name" but when I use this Identity to send an email, the name does not appear before the email address, no matter who I send it to.

I found a post on the web where someone had gone into the Config Editor about 5 years ago and modified an Id field rather than the Full Name field, but the Identity config field he mentioned doesn't appear to be there any more.

It seems that the "Your Name' field is actually the Id of the Identity so where do you put the name you want displayed ?
Thanks

Dave
DanRaisch

Re: Identity Name not appearing when sending email

Post by DanRaisch »

No, the "Your Name" field under Tools->Account Settings is NOT the ID of the account. That would be the "User Name" field under Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings. The field "Your Name" should be the location from which Thunderbird will draw the text to enter before your email address in outgoing messages.
Where are you seeing reference to "Public Data"?
dwsthunder

Post by dwsthunder »

I go into Identities ===> Edit ====> Then the heading is Public Data, followed by Your Name , Email Address , Reply to Address etc.

I entered the name in 'Your Name' but it doesn't show up when I send an email to my company email or my old email address

This is Thunderbird 52.1.1 , the latest release apparently

Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK but you don't have to enter anything there at all. Just enter that name under Tools->Account Settings in the field "Your Name", as I said above.