Thunderbird quit responding to my mouse, suddenly!

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
conceptualclarity1

Thunderbird quit responding to my mouse, suddenly!

Post by conceptualclarity1 »

Thunderbird has worked very well for me for weeks, although lately I've been getting a lot of interminable Unresponsive Script Notification windows. I've been taking advantage of Thunderbird's ability to have multiple tabs open, but have come to regret it.

Last night I opened a second Inbox tab to try to have an Inbox sorted by name rather by time. (This is something I had done without incident several times previously.) Thunderbird became totally useless, went into full perversity mode. It complicated things for me by opening up a second window that I had not called for. It got into the syndrome I've seen much of lately on Firefox of immortal tabs, basically freezing in place on the opened tab, refusing to allow me to click it out or to use the context menu to close the tab out, and refusing to allow me to move to a different tab. I reinstalled Thundebird to try to drive out the perversity, but it did not fully work. Safe Mode didn't work either.

(Strangely when I went to the Mozilla site it offered up version 38.5. I had to go to Softpedia to get the current one of 52.1.1.)

Now there is not a single time that I bring it up without it flashing orange with the pestiferous unresponsive script notification. (That wasn't happening before recently.) And I wait a really long time before the unresponsive script window emerges so that I can click on it.

I have brought up Thunderbird repeatedly since the reinstall, and it has been unusable. When I click on an email in the list shown, it doesn't open the email. It refuses to click out a superfluous second tab. It refuses my clicking to a different folder. The thing won't even click out at the upper right corner. I have to kill it with Process Explorer. Where an opened email's contents should be showing it is instead showing a donation message, which I really think may be a big part of the problem. I wish I could disable the donation message.

> http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/92/C9DIib.png

Thunderbird will scroll for me, but it will no longer do anything from my mouse, from clicking or the context menu.

Computer: DELL Dimension 2400
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2658 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: WL120GPA872, 117.2 GB, E-IDE (ATA-7)
Drive: WDC WD2500JB-57GVC0, 244.2 GB, E-IDE (ATA-6)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus: Panda Antivirus Pro 17.0.1
Firewall: Panda Antivirus Pro 17.0.1
Ad Blocker: Ad Muncher
Default Browser: Maxthon 4.4.8.1000
Last edited by LIMPET235 on June 1st, 2017, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image tags removed to restore the forum layout.
LIMPET235

Re: Thunderbird quit responding to my mouse, suddenly!

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Thunderbird Support...
The latest version is available here...
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all/
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
conceptualclarity1

LIMPET235 wrote:Moving to Thunderbird Support...
The latest version is available here...
> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbi ... rd/all/</a><!-- m -->
Thank you, LIMPET235. I don't understand. At the time all this happened the auto-updating on Thunderbird had me up to version 52.1.1. This download is for version 38.5. Can you explain?
conceptualclarity1

Well, thank you! I did that, and my Thunderbird is back to life!

Please do explain to me what is going on.
conceptualclarity1

Hello. Please help me understand the situation with these different versions of Thunderbird so I can avoid falling into a pit like this again. I really thought I was going to have to abandon Thunderbird for another program.
conceptualclarity1

My Thunderbird says when I click "About" that I am "currently on the release update channel". What does that mean?

Thunderbird autoupdated to 45 and then to 52.1.1, and I once again experienced unusability. I checked and saw that the Mozilla website is still offering 38.5. Why is there the discrepancy between the website and "the release update channel"?
Diane Vigil

Post by Diane Vigil »

The Mozilla website is offering what appears to be all versions from the beginning:
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

That's different from the current "release" version.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird

You appear to be running XP, which complicates things. If you had XP SP3 (or a later version of Windows) the Mozilla web site would have provided the latest version. Since you didn't, the Mozilla web site provides version 38.5.0 and then lets you auto-upgrade to the latest release (52.1.1). This two step process is due to a new digital signing certificate for Windows builds added in version 38.5.1. I've read that its the installer that imposes the limitation so its not clear why the Softpedia setup program was immune, if you believe their claim they are unmodified copies of the original files.

"release update channel" means you use the normal build. There are other channels for test releases such as beta, earlybird etc.
conceptualclarity1

tanstaafl wrote:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird
If you had XP SP3 (or a later version of Windows) the Mozilla web site would have provided the latest version.
I do have XP SP3.

My Thunderbird has now upgraded to 45. I'm really worried about it upgrading to 52.1.1, because every time it has done that it has gone useless on me. Is 52.1.1 simply incompatible with XP?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

conceptualclarity1 wrote:I'm really worried about it upgrading to 52.1.1, because every time it has done that it has gone useless on me. Is 52.1.1 simply incompatible with XP?
No. See https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbi ... uirements/