TB Sudden Sub Directory Loss in Local Files

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
quicksand

TB Sudden Sub Directory Loss in Local Files

Post by quicksand »

I am running TB 52.1.1(64bit) on OpenSuse 42.2

My problem is that when I changed the password on one of my email accounts at the service providers website and subsequently ran TB, the program seemed to produce rapidly changing screens that I could not easily exit the TB program. During this series of events TB did not request a new password as it should have since the old one was changed. When I eventually stopped TB the program I found that one of my directories in local files was gone. Nothing else, including other sub directories were effected.

I can not seem to locate the missing files. Looking at crash directory I find a new file store.json.mozlz4

Any direction to recover the files would be appreciated. The program runs fine with the exception of some mail is missing in the directory that has gone missing.
tanstaafl

Re: TB Sudden Sub Directory Loss in Local Files

Post by tanstaafl »

Directory or mail folder?

I wouldn't expect Thunderbird to delete a directory. However there are several scenarios where the local directory for an account (such as "Local Folders") is changed. The local directory is where Thunderbird stores the mail folders and messages filters for the account. When this occurs it will recreate any special mail folders (such as the inbox, sent, drafts etc.) but will not re-create other mail folders such as child folders for the inbox.

If this occurs there are two workarounds. Either change the local directory setting back to the old value using the Browse button at the bottom of the accounts server settings, or import the missing folders using the ImportExportTools add-on.

"During this series of events TB did not request a new password as it should have since the old one was changed"
Thunderbird does not know if you changed the password using a browser. When you do that delete the saved password in tools -> options -> security -> passwords -> saved passwords, exit Thunderbird (since the deleted password is still stored in memory) and restart Thunderbird. When prompted enter the password and check the checkbox to save it.