Profile + Copy to

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Roderunner

Profile + Copy to

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Folks, I am using TB portable with Gmail on both of my pc's. How easy would it be to transfer everything to the installable version?
Regards
George
DanRaisch

Re: Profile + Copy to

Post by DanRaisch »

Roderunner

Post by Roderunner »

Its Thunderbird I am asking about.
Regards
George
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
The link for Thunderbird is in that Firefox link.
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Or here it is directly -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird
For a concise, less detailed version of the process, see this thread --
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 5#p7251375

For an alternative approach, see tanstaafl's posts in this thread -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14209121
Roderunner

Post by Roderunner »

Remember I am trying to move the profile from Thunderbird Portable to the installed version.
If I go to C:\Users\<Windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\<Profile name> make a copy of the default folder.
Then if I do the same after installing TB, delete it's profile folder insert the copy I made of the portable profile folder. Will this transfer all my details, account, password, contacts and settings.
Regards
George
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That's what the link I posted is intended to accomplish. The difference is that with Portable Thunderbird your profile is probably NOT found at C:\Users\<Windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\<Profile name>. The portable version doesn't "install" per se. Instead, Instead, running the installer creates a \Portable Thunderbird directory and all of the files are stored in and under that directory.
Roderunner

Post by Roderunner »

If I go to C:\Users\<Windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\ I get a folder xxx.default
-
If I go to C:\Users\<Windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\ I get 2 folders. One is Crash Reports the other is profiles.ini
-
As yet, I have not installed TB but I have FF & TB portables on D: Drive on both my pc's.
Regards
George
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, that's weird for Thunderbird. For Firefox that's what should appear if you are using a standard installation of Firefox. With Thunderbird Portable, unless you were using Thunderbird previously with a regular installation, the data folder should be under \Portable Thunderbird.
Roderunner

Post by Roderunner »

I did have FF installed and a copy of FF portable on D: Drive. I have never had TB installed at any time.
Regards
George
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Then I'm at a loss as to how that directory structure exists on your computer. That's not how Thunderbird portable "installs". It's what I would have expected to find in an installation of the standard Thunderbird version.

Was the system set up by your or a third party? Was it ever out for service? Just wondering if Thunderbird might be on the system even if you didn't personally install it. You could check C:\Program Files (or C:\Program Files (x86)) to confirm that there isn't an directory named \Mozilla Thunderbird there.
Roderunner

Post by Roderunner »

I am the only one who uses my 2 pc's. There is no folder/file Mozilla Thunderbird in C:\Program Files
My Modus Operandi is to do a 'One Click' backup with Acronis TI then install a program to test it, if I don't like it, I do a system 'Restore' which can be done in 15 minutes.
Regards
George
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Then it's truly strange.

Installing the standard Thunderbird may cause it to find the profile data at C:\Users\<Windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\
If you don't want to use that profile you can do a custom install and select a different directory for the location of the profile. Then you can use the procedure you suggested above to copy the existing profile to the new location.
Roderunner

Post by Roderunner »

I will look in C:\Users\<Windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\ and C:\Users\<Windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\ on my other pc, to see what folder/files are present.
Regards
George