Yahoo Mail Settings

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
trgraney

Yahoo Mail Settings

Post by trgraney »

I kept getting this situation where TB would no longer download mail from Yahoo. I would get a prompt saying it couldn't verify the password. I was also getting a message that I needed to change the Yahoo mail server settings. In the first instance, any problems would go away if I just closed TB and started it back up; it would download the mail without a problem. I finally decided to follow the guidance on changing server settings, and cleared the checkbox to leave messages on server. This is all fine, except now I cannot access my yahoo mail from a browser or my phone, because as soon as TB downloads the message, it off the server.

How to fix. Yahoo is set to use pop mail.
tanstaafl

Re: Yahoo Mail Settings

Post by tanstaafl »

What was the prompt about changing the Yahoo mail server settings?

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Yahoo . Yahoo has been changing some settings behind peoples backs sometimes forcing you to set "Allow apps that use less secure sign-in" or disable two factor authentication. If two factor authentication is enabled you need to create a App password, the normal password will not work in Thunderbird.

Check "Leave messages on Server" in the yahoo accounts server settings in Thunderbird. I suggest you also check "until I delete them" and think about checking "For at most 14 days" so that the mailbox on the server doesn't eventually fill up (even though they claim to provide 1TB of space).

Yahoo's IMAP accounts work better than their POP accounts. I suspect your phone uses a IMAP account. I suggest you add a Yahoo IMAP account in Thunderbird and see if it works better. Uncheck the check for new mail settings on startup and every X minutes in the POP account beforehand to make it a fair test.