Thunderbird setup

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mossbayco

Thunderbird setup

Post by mossbayco »

I have used Thunderbird for many years. I just got a new computer and downloaded the program and did a normal setup for my Gmail account. Got a user name or password could not be authenticated message. Checked Gmail setting and enable less secure sites. Then from another suggestion I changed Thunderbird to normal password. The gmail account was created with an in box. However I can not download my emails. Any advice?
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird setup

Post by DanRaisch »

What security software is running on the new computer? Perhaps it isn't recognizing Thunderbird as an authorized program.
mossbayco

Post by mossbayco »

You were right I turned off the firewall as a test and Thunderbird works. Now I have to figure out how to have AVG allow Thunderbird. Thanks
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
With any type of "security etc.," program, if it stops another program from running,
then you have to close that non functioning program,
then open each "security" program & remove any/all instances/references to your
non functioning program.
Re-open that program for it to be re-detected by the "security" program/s.
If necessary, just add the program to the "Exceptions" list in each "security" program.
This is necessary when any program updates & you have trouble afterwards.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I think with AVG you need to configure Thunderbird to use a local proxy (provided by AVG) to allow AVG to scan mail sent over a secure connection. See https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleV ... ed-e-mails

If you temporarily disabled your firewall I suggest you run something like the free version of MalwareBytes 3.0 after you restore it, as a precaution. See https://www.malwarebytes.com/