Need help with new install

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
WilliamP

Need help with new install

Post by WilliamP »

I was using Windows Live Mail but was having problems with contacts disappearing. So I have downloaded Thunderbird. Now I need to get my contacts into Thunderbird. So far I'm not doing too good. Can someone please give me some help? I am running Win 7
DanRaisch

Re: Need help with new install

Post by DanRaisch »

WilliamP

Post by WilliamP »

I have read that post and did not understand what was done. Also I have Windows 7.
WilliamP

Post by WilliamP »

I have imported the address book but it doesn't display like it should.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

it doesn't display like it should.
Meaning? What, exactly, is not as you expect it?
WilliamP

Post by WilliamP »

It doesn't show the last name first .then first name then E Mail address. Also can you create groups of contacts?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

A) It sounds as though the import didn't bring the information from Windows Live Mail into the correct fields.
To correct this, start by creating a NEW address book. Manually create one record in that new address book and then export the data from the new book. Click on the name of the new address book, then use menu path Tools->Export->Address Books->give the output a name and select "save as type" Comma Separated (CSV). Load the exported file into Excel or some other spreadsheet and do the same with the data file from which you previously imported the address data to Thunderbird. If necessary, reorder the columns in the file from which you intend to import so that it matches the order of those in the export from Thunderbird. Save the data back to CSV format and import that to Thunderbird.

Open any contact record from the newly created address book in Thunderbird to confirm that the email address field is properly populated. If it is, you can delete the address book created by the first import attempt and delete the records from the Personal Address Book. Finally, move or copy the data from the latest import to the Personal Address Book.

B) See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mailing_lists
WilliamP

Post by WilliamP »

Dan how can I delete the Address Book from Thunderbird? I had tried Export and import about 3 times so i have 3 copies.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Menu path Tools->Address Book->right click on the imported address book and select "Delete" from the context menu.
Note that you can not delete the Personal Address Book or the Collected Addresses book as they are default elements of Thunderbird.
WilliamP

Post by WilliamP »

I certainly appreciate your help. I think that I have found the problem. I saved the exported file to an Exel file in my documents. If you open the file it looks fine but if you close it and reopen it it is all packed together. We are going to try Importing it without looking at it.