gandi.net possible ransomware ?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tttbirduser

gandi.net possible ransomware ?

Post by tttbirduser »

I cannot access my email accounts, I am being blocked by an offer to sell me a personal email account.
A search indicates Mozilla has something to do with this gandi thing but I am in the US not Europe.
Is this a new ? How do I get rid of it ?
Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: gandi.net possible ransomware ?

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you trying to setup Thunderbird for the first time? Are you using menu path File->New->Existing mail account?
tttbirduser

Post by tttbirduser »

I've been using Thunderbird for 8 or 9 years. Since I posted this I've found that other people had the same problem.
But this one seems to be different, it only offers gandi.net not not both gandi and hover and nothing happens when I click on " Skip this and use
my existing email" ,
I just ran chkdsk, no change.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I haven't seen other reports of such problems on these forums. Were you trying to add another account at this point or did the block pop up during normal use?
tttbirduser

Post by tttbirduser »

wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

You were probably screwed by CCLeaner https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?sh ... 8&p=284171 - they shipped a bug today.
Make sure you get up-to-the-second-new-version and set it to NOT touch your Thunderbird and Firefox, ever.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

tttbirduser wrote:All I did was open Thunderbird

You might have forgot about these two

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2803691

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2823929
Well, those were from more than 3 years ago are sort of comparing apples to oranges. St least one of them was quite different from what you were reporting. It involved gandi.net being proposed for a new account which the OP was seeking to add, so they were justified in seeing that as an attempt to sell something they didn't want. I was speaking of more recent reports on something that came up in routine use without an attempt by the user to add an account.
tttbirduser

Post by tttbirduser »

You have an eye for the finer detail . with my limit knowledge of computers I just saw the common detail.
I updated CCleaner, but no joy yet. Thanks for the help.
tttbirduser

Post by tttbirduser »

I uninstalled CCleaner, did a restore point 6/10 and reinstalled Thunderbird. It's working now. I'll wait a couple of days to reinstall CCleaner.
Thanks guys.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

After reinstalling CCleaner, make sure that you change its settings so that it doesn't touch anything related to Thunderbird (or Firefox is you have that installed on the system.) You'll find several reports on these forums indicating that CCleaner destroyed either the program or the user's data by deleting components that those programs need to work properly.
tttbirduser

Post by tttbirduser »

Will do, thanks much.