Can't receive att.net email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
smislt

Can't receive att.net email

Post by smislt »

Yesterday, Thunderbird stopped fetching my att.net email. att.net mail is handled by Yahoo mail. My other email accounts, including a yahoo.com email account, are working fine. Why would Thunderbird stop fetching my att.net email?
DanRaisch

Re: Can't receive att.net email

Post by DanRaisch »

Close Thunderbird, log onto that account's web mail page and delete the oldest message not yet downloaded to Thunderbird. (Sometimes a message with a malformed header can block the download of that message and those behind it in the download queue.

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
smislt

Post by smislt »

Dan, You must have magical powers! I got a notification of your reply and Thunderbird fetched it. Strange.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Glad to hear that.
smislt

Post by smislt »

I spoke too soon. Although the email notification alert that I got a reply to my question, no other email has come through. I followed you instructions and that didn't help. The account is set up for POP. Any ideas what is going on?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you find additional messages on that server that have not been downloaded by Thunderbird?
smislt

Post by smislt »

Yes. Many.
smislt

Post by smislt »

These are my inbound server settings. Are they correct? Server name: inbound.att.net
port: 995
smislt

Post by smislt »

When I click "get messages" for my att.net email, at the bottom of the screen it says "Downloading 1 of 75 messages" yet nothing appears! What would cause this? I haven't been able to receive att.net email since June 8!
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

That is exactly the set of symptoms for the problem Dan described. TBird has always been sensitive to messages with improperly formatted headers, with the exact result you describe -- says it's downloading message X of Y but nothing further happens. You might have had a couple of messages in a row with problem headers and you only deleted one of them. Try it again.

I used to run into this several times a year, but haven't run into it since switching all my accounts over to IMAP from POP.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
smislt

Post by smislt »

Wow! Thanks!!! I went through my att.net inbox online and deleted a ton of email. All of a sudden, Thunderbird started to fetch email from my inbox. First time in three weeks. I'm a happy camper again! Have a super Independance Day!