MozillaZine

copying thunderbird data

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mike.shellshear

Post Posted June 15th, 2017, 4:14 pm

I have always been able to successfully transfer all my e-mail and calendar data from my home PC to my travel PC by simply deleting the AppData\Local\Thunderbird and the AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird directories on the receiving computer and copying the same directories from the original PC to the receiving computer. I can then reverse the process when returning from hols. This normally transfers everything successfully. However this time I tried it, the e-mails come up successfully but the calendar will not come up. Lightning add on is there and enabled, however when I click the calendar tab or try to launch calendar from the menu system, nothing happens. If I try to make a new event or job, nothing happens. I reinstalled Thunderbird clean and an empty calendar does come up, but when I copy the files over it stops working. I checked profiles.ini and it is pointing to the right profile with the calendar data in it, but no action. Has the structure of Thunderbird changed to prevent this form of transfer?

tanstaafl

Post Posted June 15th, 2017, 4:58 pm

No. Lightning normally stores all of its data within the profile and the profile layout hasn't changed significantly for years. Lightning is large and complex, its not unusual for it to occasionally have poor releases. I looked at recent comments for the add-on at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... lightning/ and got the impression that the latest version of the add-on is a poor one. You might need to temporarily rollback to Thunderbird 45.8 and Lightning 4.7.8 since each version of Lightning only works with specific versions of Thunderbird . See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird

One of the reasons why I use ReminderFox instead of Lightning is its mature, lighter weight, and not tightly coupled. Its never given me any problems. However, its far less popular and has less features.

mike.shellshear

Post Posted June 15th, 2017, 5:43 pm

That did the trick! Thanks very much, I had been banging my head against this one for many hours with lots of re-installations and changing methods of copying etc., because I thought I must have been making errors in implementation.
I reinstalled at the version of Thunderbird you recommended and removed the more recent Lightning extension it installed automatically, then reinstalled Lightning from the downloaded file of the version you recommended and everything came good immediately.
I also switched off automatic updates (for the time being).

mike.shellshear

Post Posted December 27th, 2017, 6:11 pm

mike.shellshear wrote:That did the trick! Thanks very much, I had been banging my head against this one for many hours with lots of re-installations and changing methods of copying etc., because I thought I must have been making errors in implementation.
I reinstalled at the version of Thunderbird you recommended and removed the more recent Lightning extension it installed automatically, then reinstalled Lightning from the downloaded file of the version you recommended and everything came good immediately.
I also switched off automatic updates (for the time being).
Are there any stable compatible versions since Thunderbird 45.8 and Lightning 4.7.8? I like to keep as close to current as possible.

tanstaafl

Post Posted December 28th, 2017, 5:51 am

The last update to Lightning was to version 5.4 on April 20. I'm not aware of wide spread problems with it. Several recent comments on the add-ons web page mention though that a update of google calendar earlier this month caused compatibility problems.

mike.shellshear

Post Posted December 28th, 2017, 3:27 pm

I tried Thunderbird 52.0 with Lightning 5.4 but had the same problem as before - I'll go back to 45.8.0 amd 4.7.8 for the ability to transfer files successfully. Thanks, Mike.

mike.shellshear

Post Posted December 28th, 2017, 5:24 pm

My problem may possibly be the O/S on my notepad - Windows 7 starter - thunderbird/Lightning works with the earlier version but not current. I note system requirements include Windows 7, but mine is the junior version. Mike.

Return to Thunderbird Support