Restoring Profile Problem

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Comicart

Restoring Profile Problem

Post by Comicart »

This morning when I booted up, I received a screen that my PC was was being prepared with a percent count down. I let it complete and found that I had a total recovery of my Windows 10, with all my settings, profiles etc. back to default. I do have all my data files and my application folders with complete information.

However, when I tried to open Thunderbird, it requires me to do all new set ups. And, of course no emails or acccounts.

I have found the thunderbird profiles from prior to this day. It seems to contain my the required info and is NOT a default profile.

I tried using Profile Manager, but it only displays the default one and I am not sure how to import the old one.

I want to replace the "new default Profile" with the one predating my problem.

How do I do that?

I have the Firefox settings to reset, but that is another problem.
Thanks
tanstaafl

Re: Restoring Profile Problem

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird . You were headed in the right direction, the profile manager user interface just doesn't make it clear that you can use "create profile" in the profile manager to tell it about an existing profile without deleting the contents of that profile.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Out of curiosity, why did it do a automatic recovery? I'm used to being surprised by a automatic windows update, but even the recent "windows 10 creators update" didn't effect Thunderbird.
Comicart

Post by Comicart »

In regards to a auto recovery, I have no idea. The night before everything was fine. I sent a few emails and went to bed.

This is very strange to me.
Comicart

Post by Comicart »

re:

Post Posted Yesterday, 7:55 pm
See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird . You were headed in the right direction, the profile manager user interface just doesn't make it clear that you can use "create profile" in the profile manager to tell it about an existing profile without deleting the contents of that profile.

This allowed me to solve my Thunderbird problem. Thanks