how to widen an opened email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
wondermuse

how to widen an opened email

Post by wondermuse »

I have just started using Mozilla Thunderbird, and I am having a problem getting the email, when opened, to fill the width of the message panel. My laptop is a 15.6" screen size, and with the email opened and Thunderbird maximized, I get the email going down the center of the message panel with at least 2.5 to 3 inches of blank space on either side of it. How can I get emails to fill the message panel?

Another thing that just happened is, when I joined this Thunderbird Forum, I was to receive an email verification link, but Thunderbird did not receive it. I am also trying the Mailbird mail client, which did receive the email, even though it had gone to the Junk mail folder. Thunderbird still does have this email along with a few others that were also in the Junk folder in Mailbird.

I have just downloaded and installed the "Theme Font and Size Changer" add-on/extension for Thunderbird, and I have been setting colors and few other things, if that could have anything to do with it (Thunderbird) not receiving emails. Maybe if I restart the computer...I don't know.
DanRaisch

Re: how to widen an opened email

Post by DanRaisch »

Your image did not come through because the forum is set to not accept attachments. See this for information on posting a screen shot to the forums -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
wondermuse

Post by wondermuse »

The program is running IMAP.

I used IMGur to post the image, and when I right click on the "Image" icon in my post, I get the right click menu for Google Chrome (which is the browser I use). If I select "open in new tab" from this menu, the image opens (IMGur website) in a new tab. I don't know if it's because I'm the "author" or not, but could you try that and see if it works?

Even when holding the "Control" key to zoom in, it still stays in the middle of the message panel, albeit it does expand slightly more to each side, but still does not go from side to side.

I am now receiving my email, I guess it took a period of adjustment to get going.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

If a plain text message is wrapping to a width that is less than the message pane width, check that the preference mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support is false under Tools/Options/Advanced/General/Config. editor.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plain_text_e- ... wed_format

But if the message shows blank space on either side, it may well be due to add-ons: Help/Restart with Add-ons disabled to see if the display is affected.
wondermuse

Post by wondermuse »

Not using "Plain Text". The only format I like is the "Original HTML" format. The other two "Plain Text and "Simple HTML" do not show images, just links.

The Mailbird email client doesn't really extend entirely from side to side but more so than Thunderbird, with the images showing in a much larger size.

What I really like, so far, about Thunderbird compared to Microsoft's "Mail" and "Mailbird" is the ability to adjust font size, and also as an added bonus the ability to choose colors for all the different backgrounds and even the font/text. To me, any program/app that allows me to adjust font size (not by holding the "Control" key, which doesn't always stay from one time to the next), but actually being able to select a 'numbered' font size and font style is "golden" :); even though it seems my favorite font style "Arial Black" is not available.

I am having quite a few other 'technical' difficulties too; like how to "move" an email to a folder, and I don't seem to see any difference between read and unread emails in the inbox, they all seem the same. Another is the "Trash" folder. How do I delete "all" trash emails? Gmail is best, I guess, when it comes to trashing the trash, just a simple "Empty Trash Now" link with an also good security confirmation, and presto! no more trash. I guess what I have to do, just like in the old Microsoft "Windows Live Mail", which was[ my favorite email client of all, is select a range or all trash emails by using the "shift" key, then right clicking to get the "Delete" command. Don't like that much.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself, the first problem is, how to get an email in the inbox to the trash. I can't seem to figure this out either. Like I said, I am having quite a few "technical' difficulties.

Do not like this, but I guess I figured out how to move emails to both a folder and the Trash folder. Have to right click the message, and, didn't realize, in the menu>"Move To" that my listed account email address, yet another click, has my folders listed, and then the "Local Folders" has access to the Trash folder. It's all much too complicated, and too much clicking. Most all email clients these days have available 'buttons' for any email whether open or listed within the inbox for sorting to Trash or Mark as Spam or Mark as 'Read' or 'Unread", "Important', 'Star', things like that; which really does simplify and make everything much easier. So laborious with all the right clicking and more clicking, Ugh!

And I guess maybe my selection of a heavier font style type might be the cause of not being able to get a difference between "Read" and "Unread" emails in the inbox; but I like the heavy font styles because they are so much easier to see and therefore easier to read at a glance.

Hold everything, I just found "Empty Trash" under "File" in the Menu Bar. Don't have any trash right not, but will try it later. Still, it's kind of exaggerated; should just be within the Trash folder, click and done, like Gmail.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

TLDR. And you still haven't posted the image we requested, there are no links in any of your posts in this thread.

Also, you haven't found the context menu option (available by right clicking on the folder name) to "Empty Trash". And there arekeyboard shortcuts to do some of the other things you are looking for like marking messages as read or unread, or setting a tag (such as "Important". Nor how you found that you can simply drag and drop messages from one folder to another.

As Thunderbird marks messages as new by showing them in Bold font, your choice of fonts is probably obscuring that indication.
wondermuse

Post by wondermuse »

Thanks for the tip about right clicking the "Junk" folder. @outlook.com calls "Trash" Junk so I think there is a conflict when trying to use the Menu Bar>File>Empty "Trash", it doesn't work. When I right click on the "Junk" folder, though, it recognizes the folder is titled "Junk" and has an "Empty Junk" command. But still, like I've already said, it would be nice if there was an "Empty Trash" link within the Trash/Junk folder (like Gmail).

I still don't know how to post an image from my computer. Does it have to be a screenshot? I did a Windows snippet. Can you instruct step by step?
I really dislike these forums that make posting an image or document so difficult. Most forums are simple; click an image icon, browse for image on computer, and click "upload".

So besides all the clicking around I have to do with the Thunderbird email client, and if I can get the messages to open in a more expanded view, I guess it isn't too bad. The ability to increase the font size, is probably what would make me put up with everything else. I do not sit at a desk or use my laptop in my lap, rather I have my laptop in tent mode on a shelf next to my bed, so it is about 3 to 4 feet away. The increased font size is really appreciated with any program/app I can get it with.

I will continue using Thunderbird, and see if I can replace the Mailbird email client with it, which has a very fine font style and a much too small font size for viewing my inbox messages.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

@outlook.com calls "Trash" Junk so I think there is a conflict when trying to use the Menu Bar>File>Empty "Trash",

Ah, no. The Hotmail/Outlook term for Trash is "Deleted Items". Their term for Junk is "Junk Email."
How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Most forums are simple; click an image icon, browse for image on computer, and click "upload".
Every image requires much more storage space than text. These forums are hosted as a favor at no cost (low cost?) by a university so every Gigabyte of storage is important to us. Remote hosting of images means only the link must be stored, helping to minimize the impact on the servers.
wondermuse

Post by wondermuse »

Ah, no. The Hotmail/Outlook term for Trash is Junk Email.

Are you going to tell me how to attach an image from my computer?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1) I don't know where you are seeing that but here's what Hotmail's folders look like:

2) I posted a link to the instructions in my first reply in this thread.
wondermuse

Post by wondermuse »

Ok, if we can just get over this. To begin with, that is to say originally, I was only interested in deleting my Trash/Spam/Junk folder because of late I have been getting over 100 of these d--- things every day. So, the Junk is deleted by right clicking on the Junk folder and selecting "Empty Junk"; but as I was trying to say before, if I tried to delete the "Junk" folder by going to the Menu Bar>File>"Empty Trash, it would not work.

I know now that junk refers to junk, but trash refers to Deleted emails; which you have to admit is just a little confusing since Trash/Junk/Spam most always refer to unwanted email that never gets to the inbox, but goes directly to this folder (Trash/Spam/Junk).

I still have the problem of not knowing how to get an image in my post, and also the problem of the emails opening in the center of the message panel. I have also noticed that even though I have increased the font size for the Thunderbird user interface; when I open emails, the print/text is too small. Unlike Gmail that allows for magnification by holding the Control key with the "plus" key then Gmail remembers this magnification, Thunderbird does not. It (Thunderbird) does allow for magnification using the Control Key, but does not remember that setting so that new emails always open in the small text size.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Here's the link again with information on posting a screenshot -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum
Basically it calls for uploading the screen shot file (JPG, PNG, or similar format) to a hosting site such as Photobucket (which requires that you register for a free account) and then copying the IMG code from Photobucket (or the like) into a post on the forums.

See this link for info on modifying the fonts used to display received messages -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/991582
wondermuse

Post by wondermuse »

I've sort of got the email messages opening in a larger font size, but I'm not sure 'exactly' how or which thingamajig I unchecked that did it. I'm going to work with it some more and try to figure it out a little better.

Still have the original problem, though, about the email message opening down the center of the message panel. And I'm not sure about how to upload an image, but I have set up an account with Photobucket, and this is the URL to the image I think. Maybe you could let me know if this takes you to the image I uploaded to Photobucket. I should say that I took the advice in the instructions and resized the image to 500 x 600, which caused some stretching, so it is slightly distorted in that regard, but you can still see how it is something like a large band down the center of the message panel.

Last edited by wondermuse on June 26th, 2017, 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
wondermuse

Post by wondermuse »

OK, nevermind about getting back about getting the image, I see now that the image somehow just opens in the post when the post is posted (tongue twister).
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you sure that isn't simply the way the message sent to you is formatted?