Thunderbird + Mac + ActivClient + remove card=crash

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
erple2

Thunderbird + Mac + ActivClient + remove card=crash

Post by erple2 »

I've got an installation of Thunderbird (52.x) on a Mac running macOS 10.12.x. I have to send/receive encrypted emails, so I have a SmartCard with the ActivClient (4.1.0.x most recent available from the enterprise) installed. Encrypting/Decrypting works fine, digitally signing emails works fine. The problem I have is when I remove the USB reader (I happen to have an scm331 firmware 5.18), or my SmartCard (since I sometimes leave my desk), Thunderbird more or less stops reliably responding. The only way to "fix" that is to either force-quit Thunderbird, or re-plug the smartcard back in, in which the "response" is a near-immediate crash to the desktop.

Does anyone else use the above setup and experience something similar?

It's "fine", but annoying. I'm using this setup because Outlook (the other alternative) eats a small part of my soul every time I start it up.
Erple2
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird + Mac + ActivClient + remove card=crash

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you have that problem if you close Thunderbird before removing the card?
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird + Mac + ActivClient + remove card=crash

Post by tanstaafl »

You might try setting Thunderbird in offline mode before removing anything. Offline mode disables all network calls. So if you're lucky that eliminates any calls to the usb reader as a side effect unless you try to open a already downloaded encrypted message. You can click on either the 2 PC icon in the lower left corner of the main screen or use file -> offline to toggle that mode.